Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of breeding locust or dubia roaches to feed to my ackie, I wanted to start now because I may also get a bosc in the future and want to have plenty to go around. Which are easier to breed taking into consideration temperatures, maintenance, cleaning, feeding, setting up costs etc? Any info much appreciated, cheers Lee

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Try the feeder forum section they will be where you get an answer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm thinking of breeding locust or dubia roaches to feed to my ackie, I wanted to start now because I may also get a bosc in the future and want to have plenty to go around. Which are easier to breed taking into consideration temperatures, maintenance, cleaning, feeding, setting up costs etc? Any info much appreciated, cheers Lee
dubia roaches in a rub plenty of adults make sure have access to bug gel and gut load once a day they will breed for fun i personally dont do it but my little brother does think he uses a heatmat under the rub aswel and a light spray once a day to make slightly humid .... he tried locusts but had no luck

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I breed dubia roaches.fairly simple to breed and an awesome feeder insect.:2thumb:

Reactions: Leequig

·
Registered
19 Posts
I breed dubia roaches.fairly simple to breed and an awesome feeder insect.:2thumb:
I agree i have a small colony but it takes a little while for it to be in a state to feed from it. About 3 - 4 months or so.
Just need the following

Box
Buy 2 x 48 Litre Pink Plastic Storage Boxes at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Plastic storage boxes and units.
Heat mat
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ProRep-Heat...UTF8&qid=1393620851&sr=1-11&keywords=heat+mat
Water
100g dry Water Aqua Crystals For Spiders Insects Cockroaches Crickets Bug Gel | eBay

Some egg boxes
veg from the local market

Tricky

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Definitely Dubia roaches are easier, Locusts are relatively picky in comparison.
For Dubia you just need a heat mat, a plastic RUB and some egg crates or similar for them to hide in and climb on.
The only issues I had was with humidity, but that was my own stupid fault.
If you keep mostly to dry foods with fresh carrot for moisture you cant go far wrong.
Any extra moisture can encourage mites which can really wreck your colony.
Otherwise they are incredibly simple to breed, they just need a couple of months to get going before you can use them as feeders.
Definitely recommend them :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Sounds like an interesting idea. do they absolutely need a heat mat? or is it possible they would be happy enough in a warm room ? would they breed somewhere out of the way (meaning somewhere possibly dark)?

sorry to bust in on the thread but this seems an interesting idea as Bella really doesn't seem too keen on crickets (personally I think she's just a bit lazy, they move too fast and hide too well for her taste.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information. I will definitely start up a colony and let it thrive before I start feeding them off. Monitors live food bills can mount up so it seems like a very good idea. If it all works out well I may try to breed other insects aswell but for the time being I will keep buying them for varied diet.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
They would breed even better in the dark, they prefer darker places, so if youre using a plastic rub an opaque one would be better.
As for heat, they tend to breed much quicker with a heat source, they are afterall native to warmer climates.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My leos now wont eat crickets but will still eat locusts.

From my experience the temp just determines how quickly they breed they need to be between 85 - 95 to be comfortable to produce offspring

i remove the heat mat when i think they are getting out of hand.

Tricky

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My tub of Dubia's sit on top of the boa viv so get a lot of warmth from her viv. They breed really well like this, when I want the breeding to slow down I just move them on top of an unheated viv so they sit at room temp which is around 19c. They still produce some young at this temp just not very often. Really easy to breed in my opinion. Just leave them to it :)

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Roaches are the easiest thing to breed, in the world, ever. You can't fail and they are a better meat to shell ratio

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.