Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i breed my anoles and how long is the gestation period??

·
Registered
476 Posts
breeding season is roughly autumn-november but it varies in captivity. throughout the breeding season anoles lay fertiled eggs every week or so. sometimes singular or in pairs. Eggs hatch within 6-8weeks. Only way i can think of to encourage breeding is split the male from the female(s) for a couple of weeks and then reintroduce them to eachother. :grin1:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
i dont do anything with mine they just keep breeding :smile:
as long as the set up is correct they should breed.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont do anything with mine they just keep breeding :smile:
as long as the set up is correct they should breed.
so i take it by setup correwctly u mean plenty of branches and stuff and soil...
i have an exo terra waterbowl of sawdust in my anole's viv
is this ok?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
um, i'd take the sawdust out and purchase some eco earth.
How many anoles do you have, you need at least 3 females to one male else your female may suffer from constant harassment.
Males are VERY active in the breeding season and will constantly display and chase females, you will not need help getting a male in the breeding mood.
just make sure your female/s have plenty of hiding spaces, and if you only have one male and one female, be prepared to separate them net year if she becomes darker in colour and shyer.

ive got a caresheet that will answer some of your questions...
Jinkusu's Reptile Pages -- J - R - P . C - O - M

sorry some of the fonts bigger in size i some places, the website wont let me keep it all the same size and keeps changing it, freewebs are poo. lol

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ye i got the last 2 anoles in the shop but ye-the female has lots of hiding places so i'll get some eco earth stuff
ive heard u can use normal compost?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
ye i got the last 2 anoles in the shop but ye-the female has lots of hiding places so i'll get some eco earth stuff
ive heard u can use normal compost?
yeh, or garden soil bags, just make sure it does'nt contain other elements, organic is probably preferred, you dont want anything with perlite.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what the hell is perlite?
never heard of it

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
its similar to vermiculite.

just buy a bag of topsoil of a brick of coconut husk :)
no perlite in either of those.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive got this stuff called spider substrate from when i had pandinus imperators will that be ok?
because my mum dont drive so thats all i have pretty much

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
spider substrate is usually vermiculite or sphagnum moss, like jinx and dean said coconut husk, eco earth or top soil are all good

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ye i think it is vermiculite based

1 - 12 of 12 Posts