Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snakes and lizards, have interested me since I was five, i've just started to breed them, I was just wondering do you know anybody who breeds reptiles as a job, without their need to supplement their income from a regular day job. So in short, do you know anyone who makes a living off breeding reptiles? I was just curious to find out.
Regards,
Gemma

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
TBH even most of the big breeders also have a day job or partner in work to back up the money they get from breeding. I would think it would be nearly impossible to live just on the money from breeding alone. No doubt you can make some nice profit from breeding the right animal but you also have to take into account your only going to be getting baby's to sell a few times a year the rest of the time your animals are costing you money to feed and house.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TBH even most of the big breeders also have a day job or partner in work to back up the money they get from breeding. I would think it would be nearly impossible to live just on the money from breeding alone. No doubt you can make some nice profit from breeding the right animal but you also have to take into account your only going to be getting baby's to sell a few times a year the rest of the time your animals are costing you money to feed and house.
Thankyou for the post, that;s what I thought, but didn't know if anyone had succeeded. I suppose if you bred some high end boas or pythons, then they could make a nice profit. Thanks for the reply.
Gemma

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
It will be extrememly hard to live of the money you make from breeding unless you buy loads of snakes to breed or top morphs, you will have to invest in alot of money to start, and you have to buy housing,food, heating for all the young, and the adults, have to get a good market for them, also say if you got an egg-bound female could you pay for vet fee's etc, what is the business doesnt work out?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Plenty of successful breeders out there, no question. Probably more in the USA than here.
They certainly make a very good living from it.

But...do you have £10k to invest to get you started? You will still have to work as well.

Work it out for yourself.

Say you want a modest £20K income, with which to pay your bills etc.

So you have to sell enough snakes to pay for heating, food, substrate, housing, vets bills, advertising, having somewhere big enough to do all of this..all for the snakes...PLUS make £20k, then pay tax on that.

You need to sell £1700 worth of snakes a month, just to make that £20k a year (not including costs for the snakes).

So you can't be selling normal Royals etc...you need to be selling Bumblebees etc. And pet shops won't pay you £100 for a Normal...might be lucky to get £30.

Say you got £100 per snake on average. You need to have enough snakes to produce 17 saleable young per month.

So yes...you can do it and make money, but it won't be something you can do in a few weeks.

Not suggesting you shouldn't...but just think about it.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
best bet if you want to make a bit of money...

get some...

• Royal python morphs and start projects
  • high end corn morphs start projects
  • Boa constrictors and start projects with them

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
Thankyou for the post, that;s what I thought, but didn't know if anyone had succeeded. I suppose if you bred some high end boas or pythons, then they could make a nice profit. Thanks for the reply.
Gemma

You could make some really nice profit from high end morphs but even then you will only get one clutch a year from them if your lucky and would have to be really good at budgeting to make the money last until next year. And thats only if every thing went to plan and thats some thing that hardly ever happens.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plenty of successful breeders out there, no question. Probably more in the USA than here.
They certainly make a very good living from it.

But...do you have £10k to invest to get you started? You will still have to work as well.

Work it out for yourself.

Say you want a modest £20K income, with which to pay your bills etc.

So you have to sell enough snakes to pay for heating, food, substrate, housing, vets bills, advertising, having somewhere big enough to do all of this..all for the snakes...PLUS make £20k, then pay tax on that.

You need to sell £1700 worth of snakes a month, just to make that £20k a year (not including costs for the snakes).

So you can't be selling normal Royals etc...you need to be selling Bumblebees etc. And pet shops won't pay you £100 for a Normal...might be lucky to get £30.

Say you got £100 per snake on average. You need to have enough snakes to produce 17 saleable young per month.

So yes...you can do it and make money, but it won't be something you can do in a few weeks.

Not suggesting you shouldn't...but just think about it.
Yeah, thanks for the that, it's what I was thinking. I thought if I took it slow, and slowly build up my collection, with some high end morphs, then not only is it building up my collection, I suppose if I bred them, then that is a little more money coming in etc... I was aiming in a few years to have some fireballs, spiders, possibly a Black eyed lucy breeding pair, some pastel boas etc, maybe some beardys. Thanks for you input.
Gemma

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Yes there are some who do it, some are on here. It's a lot harder now than it used to be, a lot of full time breeders got to where they are by investing a lot of money into the unknown by buying something special or getting lucky and hitting something special, it's still possible but probably not AS possible with the number of morphs each species has now.

In order to do it nowadays you'd need to spend a shed load on new things which most people don't have in order to get a grip on the Market and that's just the easy part because great you can afford all these new wonderful and exciting morphs nobody else really has but why is someone going to spend a big lump of cash with you over someone who already has a good reputation and it's the reputation that's the hardest to get.

You'll need a lot of money, a lot of room, a lot of time and above all else a lot of patience. It's achievable but it's a DAMNED HARD thing to achieve which is why most don't because trying to do all that's required around education, employment and a family and all that comes with it is so hard it's not worth the stress and aggrevation that can come with it which may result in you hating the very thing that was your passion.

There's a fine line between a big collection with earning potential and being happy and a huge number of animals which is overwhelming.

·
Registered
448 Posts
imo 90% of the battle will be getting a name for yourself and getting the respect you deserve, untill you have that hets wont be worth the true value they are worth, for examples of this would be karl green, john berry and similar well respected breeders who can sell 90% of the young before it even hatches lol {well not unknown morph combos the ref is to specie and locale breeders}

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
just a bit of advice , you should realy do alot more reasearch before buying any snakes , its a bit like a office worker going straight into been a plumber with out any training , in you wanted add you have askd for the completley wrong pairs to make you any money , you askd for a pair of pastals , spiders , pinstripes ect ect , starters if you breed a spider to a spider they will no doubt come out dead , and why would you breed a pastal to a pastal ? your not going to get rich like that why dont you mix the up to make double gene snakes what are worth twice the money :2thumb: just a bit of advice , but you realy need to be buying double or tripple gene snakes to make any money realy

atb tim

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
You would have to have at least hundreds of snakes, and for every snake, you need an enclosure.

Off the top of my mind, I can only think of one person who breeds reptiles for a living, but he also does a few other jobs.

There are many people on this forum, with many snakes, who breed hundreds a year, but they ALL have a day job.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
just a bit of advice , you should realy do alot more reasearch before buying any snakes , its a bit like a office worker going straight into been a plumber with out any training , in you wanted add you have askd for the completley wrong pairs to make you any money , you askd for a pair of pastals , spiders , pinstripes ect ect , starters if you breed a spider to a spider they will no doubt come out dead , and why would you breed a pastal to a pastal ? your not going to get rich like that why dont you mix the up to make double gene snakes what are worth twice the money :2thumb: just a bit of advice , but you realy need to be buying double or tripple gene snakes to make any money realy

atb tim
This was just a question out of curiosity, I was just wondering, breeding spider to spider wasn't what I was going to do to. I just wanted to know if anyone had any out there. Also, money is not an objective- I'm do not wish to breed for the money aspect- I just love royals and they interest me... Thanks for the comment though, really appreciated :)

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Also, money is not an objective- I'm do not wish to breed for the money aspect- I just love royals and they interest me...
Then do it as a hobby - a hobby that might occasionally pay for the food and electricity bills - rather than trying to make a hobby into a job.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then do it as a hobby - a hobby that might occasionally pay for the food and electricity bills - rather than trying to make a hobby into a job.
That's the point that I was trying to get across, as although the cost to cover the food, heating etc would be nice. It's not my primary goal. :)

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
this is something i have longed to do from a VERY early age! and in 25 years odd i am still no where near being in any position to earn enough to live on, to be honest i have resided to the fact that it will likely never happen...yes you can make money back by doing it as a hobby, but to be fair, when you take out keeping costs etc usually the most you can get is a decent amount to go towards other snakes that have maybe been out of your reach to keep otherwise, something i would really like to do however is have a small shop...this is the only way you could realisticly earn a living (and 80% of the profit would be made on equipment and supplies) unless you have huge numbers of snakes, or are one step ahead with all the newest morphs etc it would be incredibly hard to make any kind of a regular living through just breeding.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts

atb tim
^^^This for me too....

But pastel x pastel should give 25% SUPER PASTELS, that's why I'd do pastel x pastel. A cheap morph that can produce something nice :2thumb:

·
Registered
448 Posts
people are so obssesed with double gene morphs that are worth twice as much imo, you are just not going to sell that many of them, what you want is to have lots of decent animals that will sell easily, so you do not have assoicated long term costs of sitting on such animals.

·
Registered
14,312 Posts

atb tim

So you have bred many spider x spider pairings and had all dead clutches from them? Just saying as i have bred spider to spider and spider combo to spider combo, with no difference to the babies then if the spider gene only came from one parent. Also pastel to pastel gives you the super pastel, which is a useful animal to have in a collection, as putting that across other morphs will give you all pastel offspring at the very least, and since pastels are a key ingrediant to many morph combos a super pastel is always useful.

now for the opening question, there are a few of us that breed for a living, but the inital outlay that i spent to get into a position to do so was alot, and it takes years to build up a reputation, harder still when you mainly deal wholesale. There is imo only one wy to do it,and thats to breed a hell of alot of bread and butter stuff, like cheap leos, corns, royals etc and sell them to shops regularly, and also along side them breed the more expensive rarer stuff which you can sell onto breeders and online for larger pay offs. It is not an easy thing to do though, and the amount of animals needed to make it sustainable is alot of work, so you are incurring alot of costs, with feeding and electricity etc, but it can be done with the right determination and right attitude.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts