Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already know this is a totally stupid question. I am not planning to do it, but I am just curious if breeding would count as enrichment and give snakes a more "enriched" life (specifically a corn snake, but I'd be curious for other species too if it makes a difference)? I do not want to have baby snakes or anything.

I am just wondering if I let my female corn snake breed with my friend's male corn snake during breeding season, would it make her life "better" in any way? Do snakes enjoy the mating process in any way? I would end up crushing the eggs and disposing them after they were laid, as I am not interested in breeding snakes.

Would letting snakes mate simply for their possibility of thier enjoyment be a bad idea?:roll:

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't.
The female invests a lot of energy into the process, and usually stops feeding part way through gestation, simply because there is no space for food. Getting weight back on after laying is a gradual process. So much so that some breeders will only breed each female every other year.
If you have no interest in breeding snakes then I would be concerned that you would not put the time and work in that's needed to do so safely. The female needs to be in top condition, should be over wintered first, and have a suitable laying site in the enclosure.
Even with all of these in place there is still a risk of egg binding. This can be a life threatening situation.
I see no benefit in mating snakes, with the potential risks involved, just for the sake of it.
Huge numbers of people keep single snakes with no interest or intentions of breeding, those snakes do very well.

·
Registered
10,067 Posts
Ian covers it very well. Breeding can be a stressful event for a female snake. The process is quite demanding, and as pointed out there is a risk of complications such as egg binding etc.

Given that you intend to dispose of the eggs anyway then there is no point in putting the snake through all that stress for nothing.

2,193 Posts
I don't think breeding is essential for an individual, certainly not from an enrichment point of view but.....

.....just to add some balance to the thread - if it is the goal of all life forms to pass on their genes, is denying them this denying them an essential part of their 'purpose' on this earth?

Is denying them the opportunity to mate - regardless of what you do with the young because as far as the female (and the male) is concerned they have fulfilled their purpose in life - the same as denying them exposure to other life events, stresses and strains?

I don't disagree with any of the points raised previously - my point is purely to continue with an adult conversation.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
.....just to add some balance to the thread - if it is the goal of all life forms to pass on their genes, is denying them this denying them an essential part of their 'purpose' on this earth?

Is denying them the opportunity to mate - regardless of what you do with the young because as far as the female (and the male) is concerned they have fulfilled their purpose in life - the same as denying them exposure to other life events, stresses and strains?
I don't disagree with anything above, nor indeed with you, : victory:, but following this logic then surely disposing of the fertile eggs/babies, who after all, did not "ask" to be created at the whim of a keeper, is denying them an essential right to life? :whistling2:
It's a bloody minefield. :lol2:

I've never bothered breeding mine and they've seemed ok. Even getting slugs stressed me out a bit though! :blush:

2,193 Posts
I have certainly not noticed any outward ill effect where an animal has not been subjected to the strain of breeding - I have however seen the adverse impact this process takes on the females in particular.

I don't disagree with anything above, nor indeed with you, : victory:, but following this logic then surely disposing of the fertile eggs/babies, who after all, did not "ask" to be created at the whim of a keeper, is denying them an essential right to life? :whistling2:
It's a bloody minefield. :lol2:

I've never bothered breeding mine and they've seemed ok. Even getting slugs stressed me out a bit though! :blush:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.