Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon going to have alot more space to play with for my snakes. Rather than keeping on adding individual snake species i think it would be best to try to breed one or two that i already have, not to become the best new businessman of the year, but to try to make up the costs of mice, electricity etc that you will all know can cost a considerable amount.
I have a female common boa, age not known exactly but i would say early 05( but not certain). She's 6 foot long now. I would assume she'll be around 7 foot by breeding time. If i get a male boa for her to breed with, is she going to be old/ big enough to breed successfully by this autumn?
I also have a male royal similar age, approaching 3 feet. i know age is not so much of a consideration in males being able to breed. If i can find a suitable female would he be alright to breed. also, what size and age female should i ideally be looking for?
I'm not desperate to breed straight away so if you feel either of these would not be right then i'd appreciate your opinions.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
257 Posts
Your main problem with the royal will be finding an adult female to go with her.

this time of year adult female royals fetch good money, we get several calls a week asking if we want to sell ours.

With regards the boa, it's normally size related, but again you will have to find a male of relative size (Males are smaller than females), but as long as she is getting on to three years old there should be no problems.

Regards

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, yeah i had a feeling it would be hard to find a female royal. i'll keep my eyes peeled though. i'm willing to pay good money.
in terms of compatible size for boa's, if my girl will be 7 foot, what size male will i need?

·
Registered
257 Posts
thanks, yeah i had a feeling it would be hard to find a female royal. i'll keep my eyes peeled though. i'm willing to pay good money.
in terms of compatible size for boa's, if my girl will be 7 foot, what size male will i need?
At 7 foot she should be nearly fully grown, most tend t top out around 8 foot.

An adult male will be fine of any age, most males will top out at the 6 foot mark.

We do have two "spare" adult male common boas for sale at the moment,

i think they are on our site.

Reptilekeeping.comhttp://reptilekeeping.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_17_42_63&products_id=1617

if we can help further drop us a PM

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that male looks like a beautiful snake. i'll keep it in mind. waiting for a big order of vivs so when they come through i'll see what you've got then. where abouts in dorset are you. spend alot of time in bournemouth so could be quite convenient

·
Registered
257 Posts
that male looks like a beautiful snake. i'll keep it in mind. waiting for a big order of vivs so when they come through i'll see what you've got then. where abouts in dorset are you. spend alot of time in bournemouth so could be quite convenient
We are based in Dorchester, but as always working with sooooo many animals we work by appointment only.

But if your in the area feel free to call us for a visit.

Reptilekeeping.com

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
At 7 foot she should be nearly fully grown, most tend t top out around 8 foot.

An adult male will be fine of any age, most males will top out at the 6 foot mark.

We do have two "spare" adult male common boas for sale at the moment,

i think they are on our site.

Reptilekeeping.com

if we can help further drop us a PM
i had a look through your site. Would you post Frozen Fluffs? if i bought a couple,10 or something. How do you diliver the reptiles, i noticed it wasnt under "collect from shop ONLY"
chrs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts