Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question.....

Building a selection of corn morphs as my soon to be wife has decided that she would like to try her hand at breeding them in a couple of years time or so. ( she wants to do all her homework on genetics, etc first).

So, what I was wanting to ask is.....I really like the look of Blizzards (Looks like my Luci Rat R.I.P. but without the attitude!) and have read that they are Amel Charcoal, correct?

I have an amel male just now so does that mean if I were to get a female Charcoal and pair them up, I would have a chance of getting Blizzards of my own?

Sorry if this sounds a bit dumb but have some ideas of what I'd like to produce, so was wondering what I should also get to go with the collection to get some interesting results (see sig for current group & soon to arrives.)

Chris.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Blizzard is Amel x Charcoal yes.
However as they are recessive genes, as most corn genes are, if you were to breed a charcoal female to your amel male you would get all normal looking snakes het for amel and charcoal.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mmmmm.......:hmm:

So how would we go about producing Blizzards of our own?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked out your thread Carl, thanks. Sounds a little confusing for dumb ol' me!:crazy:

Probably just cheat & buy one!:lol2:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am guessing if I breed an Amel het Charcoal to a Charcoal het Amel, I'll have a 1 in 16 chance of producing a Blizzard?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul, so I would need to breed 2 normals het Amel & Charcoal together to have a chance of a Blizzard?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Well most traits are recessive, ie for a corn snake to be amel or anery for example, it has to have two copies of the amel/anery gene. Therefore it has to inherit one from each parent.

A blizzard has two copies of both amel and charcoal at the same time.

Edit: this sounds totally complicated so I deleted most of it!. At the end of the day it is just as case of remembering a snake inherits one gene from each parent and two of the same gene must be inherited for it to show.
In reply to your question above: two normals het for amel and charcoal (ie het for blizzard) would hopefully produce some blizzards. However they don't have to be normals, they could be an amel het for charcoal, or a charcoal het for amel, or even another morph, eg. anery as long as it is het for the amel and charcoal genes.

Also, remember that when you mate two snakes that both have the amel and charcoal genes, not all of the offspring will be blizzards. The offspring which inherit two charcoal genes and two amel genes at the same time will be in the minority.Some will inherit two amel genes and no charcoal genes (so will be amel). Some will inherit two charcoal genes and no amel genes (so will be charcoal). Some will inherit two amel genes and one charcoal gene (amel het for charcoal). Some will inherit two charcoal genes and one amel gene (so will be charcoal het for amel), and finally some will not inherit two of anything and just come out normal. There will always be normals unless you mate two 100% blizzards, but at least they have hets.

Het means heterozygous by the way- so the snake is only carrying one copy of the gene in question. Homozygous means it is carrying two and therefore will be expressing it. So an amel is homozygous for the amel gene.

Some things will affect how many of a morph you can expect to produce in a clutch. For example a snake which is 'het' for something may only be 25% het, if it was one of his grandparents which was an amel, for example. You will have fewer amels when mating such a snake than if it was 50% het (ie one of its parents was amel)

You have an amel. You could buy a charcoal and mate them which would produce babies het for both amel and charcoal. By mating two of the offspring together you would hopefully produce some blizzards. this is a line breeding.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I were to buy a Charcoal to mate with my Amel and they produced the neccesary offspring, wouldn't mating 2 of the offspring together not cause genetic problems as they'd be 'related'?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i wouldnt say wothout the attitude, most blizzards are mental.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
its either 100% het, not het at all or usually it will be written as 66% poss het or 50% poss het/

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
If I were to buy a Charcoal to mate with my Amel and they produced the neccesary offspring, wouldn't mating 2 of the offspring together not cause genetic problems as they'd be 'related'?
You may do it all depends on if theres a genetic fault in on of the original parents. That you wont know until you have done the breeding. You would most likely be ok as its not line bred to far only one generation. You are producing a genetic fault by trying to make a blizzard.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Original post by herpteman
You can mate totally unrelated stock & on occasion produce a genetic fault.

Yes, the chances of producing an inherited fault do increase by breeding related stock, however, you cannot produce some of the most rare & unusual corn cultivars without line breeding.

The point here is, as Paul says, you won't know the inheritance behind any animal until you breed it.

I have both owned & bred Blizzards & not found any of them to be 'mental', however, each animal is an individual & if you breed from something that is not temperamentally / physically sound you will reproduce the same faults as the parents.

Lex

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
People do it all the time. When a new recessive mutation crops up it's the only way to further it. As long as you don't continuously keep breeding offspring to parent from the same line you won't get deformed or mental babies!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts