Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My snakes have been through brumation and are back to normal temperatures. The male shed last night ( 16/3/14 ) and the female shed a few weeks ago. Tonight, I have put them together for the first time and they haven't locked yet but have showed interest in each other and the female is 5ft 5 and 700g, and the male is 3ft long and just under 200g. Will this be maybe why they haven't copulated yet?

My other question is: what is the best sequence to introduce them to each other (e.g. put them together one day, rest the next day and then back together again)

If anyone has a good proven method for introduction of the snakes, please help me out.

Thanks

·
Registered
985 Posts
200g is small for a male to be breeding, though that doesn't make it impossible, from what I've heard. How old is he?

Not sure about an introduction schedule, though I know some people are happy to leave them together 24/7, and have success.

I'm no expert in any case, but best of luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
200g is small for a male to be breeding, though that doesn't make it impossible, from what I've heard. How old is he?

Not sure about an introduction schedule, though I know some people are happy to leave them together 24/7, and have success.

I'm no expert in any case, but best of luck!
he's 3 years old

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
200g is pretty small to be attempting to breed a male IMO.
Regards, John.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have had a male of similar size mate much bigger females without any trouble. They have trouble if the female plays hard to get but if she's ready then size shouldn't matter.
I put them together in a spare empty Viv, it was around 2x2 but a large rub would do. If they show interest then watch them for a while. If nothing happens within 2 hrs then separate them. Try again in few days. If its the males first time then it may take him a while to get going, or he may need another year to mature.
when they lock I pair them every other day til I have seen 3-4 locks.
Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a male of similar size mate much bigger females without any trouble. They have trouble if the female plays hard to get but if she's ready then size shouldn't matter.
I put them together in a spare empty Viv, it was around 2x2 but a large rub would do. If they show interest then watch them for a while. If nothing happens within 2 hrs then separate them. Try again in few days. If its the males first time then it may take him a while to get going, or he may need another year to mature.
when they lock I pair them every other day til I have seen 3-4 locks.
Good luck.
thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
10,507 Posts
200g is pretty small to be attempting to breed a male IMO.
Regards, John.
At three years old, the snake is sexually mature. It could be an issue if this wa sthe female, but to be quite blunt, the male is simply the sperm doner! As long as he is producing healthy fertile sperm, the fact that he is 200g shouldnt be an issue.

For the OP did you put the male in with the female or vice versa? Also, dont forget that they wont always mate the second they meet, and will often mate when there is no dsturbance (ie you).

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
My snakes have been through brumation and are back to normal temperatures. The male shed last night ( 16/3/14 ) and the female shed a few weeks ago. Tonight, I have put them together for the first time and they haven't locked yet but have showed interest in each other and the female is 5ft 5 and 700g, and the male is 3ft long and just under 200g. Will this be maybe why they haven't copulated yet?

My other question is: what is the best sequence to introduce them to each other (e.g. put them together one day, rest the next day and then back together again)

If anyone has a good proven method for introduction of the snakes, please help me out.

Thanks
he's 3 years old
I swear every time I see threads like this I think my corn is either broken or gay lol, he too is 3 years old, 4.5 to 5ft in length and 403g at last weigh in, 100% male and not one single bit of breeding behaviour has he shown :lol2:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At three years old, the snake is sexually mature. It could be an issue if this wa sthe female, but to be quite blunt, the male is simply the sperm doner! As long as he is producing healthy fertile sperm, the fact that he is 200g shouldnt be an issue.

For the OP did you put the male in with the female or vice versa? Also, dont forget that they wont always mate the second they meet, and will often mate when there is no dsturbance (ie you).
i put the male in the female's cage.

After all the helpful responses, i'm gonna take the male out in a few minutes and seperate them until wednesday and try again. I'm seriously crossing my fingers due to a lot of money being put into this project!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts