Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have been reading up on breeding corn snakes. What are people’s methods here for getting you snake to breed? Do you put them though brumation or just stick them together whenever possible during spring and summer with out brumation?

Thanks Matt. :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You can Do it either way.

if you do it without brumation
feed your snakes as normal plus a bit more for the female over the winter. about January or February introduce the male to the female every 5 days for about 10 mins each time and when she sheds keep them together for about an hour then introduce the male every day for short periods . copulation should result.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Forgot

Brumation, 3 months is about right for most colubrids.

Here is a little guide for you.

lets say you are going to brumate from november.

15th october last feed,
two weeks of normal temps to get rid of gut contents.

1st - 7th november slowly reduce the temps and light until by the 7th everything is off.

if you snake room is cool enough ( about 55/60 ) cover the viv or vivs with a black sheet.
if not move them to somewhere cool enough.

feb the 7th uncover and slowly warm up and light up for a week.

feed the male normaly feed the female well and introduce the female to the male on her first shed, then introduce every day on, until 3 copulations have been seen.

Expect Eggs.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
10 mins? i leave mine for about a week, if they dont do it then they never will lol

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Iv always found that males that are given short periods of time with the females have a far better responce to mating and end up more eager, like wise for the female.

i agree you can just leave them together as you said, but iv found that females often are more stressed out.

Just my observations.

paul.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
ah well everyone does it differently.
if you have a snake in there for 10 mins he doesnt know that he will be taken out... so if he goes all out and does the job then thats cool, but if he dont he still has a week to do it lol.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
thats it mate..
i listen to other people, butit makes me laugh when they critisise what i do, even though it has worked well for me for donkeys years.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
no i know mate... thats cool.
i have had pairs in for 5 mins that have mated, i just usally leave them for longer.

·
Registered
597 Posts
play abit of barry white, light some candles and a couple of Chocolate cover strawberrys and your good to go ;)

lol just kidding, ive read that you some experiments have been done where the 2 have been kept together even up until birth and the amount of babies have been more, this is with boa's though not corns.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right Paul (if I can call ya that) 3 months is supposed to be a ok amount of time for brumation for corns as they are meant to be tough calubrids?

Do you put the male in with the female or the female in with the male? Nige & Paul? I read that some people put the female in with the male thinking that as the male is the one who is gonna do the stuff, then it is best not to disturb him so putting the female in with him? and the opersit as other people think it's best to put the male in with the female thinking the male is used to searching out females therefore used to different territories?

So you put them in together for a week Nige? hmm I never thought of that. Is that really for better results on your part... or is it that you feel bad keep taking them out and want them to have some longer lasting pleasure: P nah kidding! It’s really interesting Thou :D

Thanks a lot guys you both have good views :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Flake1 said:
Right Paul (if I can call ya that)

Of cause you can

Do you put the male in with the female or the female in with the male?

i prefer to introduce the female to the male, males seem to have a stronger breeding response this way, and sure you can do it the other way round aswell.

i just get faster male results, female to male. its to do with the males enviroment all of a sudden smelling of lovely female but not everwhere so hes strait on the hunt for a bit of rumpy..lol.

paul.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
yes i do female into male too.
i hibernate for about 10 weeks usually, i never do the full 12 as my house is too warm and they will lose too much weight.
i change the water once a week. if i suspect they are losing too much weight then i will bring them out early and feed them up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh so puting the female in with the male is probbly the ebst way to go, and i would agree that it's probbly true as you say Paul that the male will go straight to the female. I saw that if you mist his cage with a misting bottle he will smell her more?

Thanks again, and sorry for late reply!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
he will smell her righ t away

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
As nige sais the male will usually go after the female right away.

misting is normaly done while they are together, when a male is showing no interest as some do.
It can work a treat, from a result of the instant humidity buffering the female scent and elivating the temperature for a short period. (you know, the lets get hot and steamy with a female sort of thing going on) lol.

dont soak but just a few blasts of warm water will do it.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
lol, yeah that will do the trick

1 - 20 of 25 Posts