Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any1 know how to breed crickets and locusts, as for me they are costing my too much specially with 2 chams. Or is there any cheap places to buy big bulk bags?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
does any1 know how to breed crickets and locusts, as for me they are costing my too much specially with 2 chams. Or is there any cheap places to buy big bulk bags?

yes hun
ive breed crixs without meaning too as i was breeding locus lol
ive got a tank set up
heat bulb on full 24/7
place the egg carts in for there hides
then add laying tubs filled with compost
spray these through out the day to keep them moist
add a tub for their feed
i give them lettuce, greens.oats but with the oats they need water too so shove apple, cucumber in too
ive got pics for you if you want?
the baby crixs are the size of fleas lol or nits as i call them
be careful when opening viv as they are tiny and jump quickly
i also had to leave the laying tubs in there as the hatchling crixs were still living in them so i added new ones

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes please if you could send me sum pix of the crickets. Could you send me a pic of the setup you have for the crickets aswell so i can get a rogh idea. thanks for the info. tom

·
Registered
549 Posts
i've always wonderd how to breed crickits as i have tried to keep them in the past in sep tanks one for food and one for breeding but it never worked out,

what colour are the eggs?? how do you know if they have laid any??

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I tried this once, biggest problem i found was the noise and the stink:sick: even with cleaning, Have you tried roaches? they breed easily and theres no noise or smell, just put them in a tub with egg boxes, feed them and they WILL breed prolificaly,they will breed at room temp but if you put a small heat mat under the tub they will breed faster, to stop them escaping put a 2-3 inch rim of vasaline around the top of the tub, they wont crose the line, but still use a lid.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
i went to pet shop bought 2 tubs of crickets attempted the breeding thing yestarday i found an egg :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
where can i buy locusts from to breed ???

hi can anyone tell me where i can buy live locusts from?

i have several bearded dragons who are eating me out of house and home !!

i want to buy some so that i can breed my own and don't want to be stuck with ones that can't or won't breed so can anyone advise me what to buy and what i want to look out for ?

any advice greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
hi can anyone tell me where i can buy live locusts from?

i have several bearded dragons who are eating me out of house and home !!

i want to buy some so that i can breed my own and don't want to be stuck with ones that can't or won't breed so can anyone advise me what to buy and what i want to look out for ?

any advice greatly appreciated

you can buy bulk bags of crix and locusts off ebay

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I bred them by accident. Steve the leo was off her food and there was uneaten crickets running around in there for over a week and a half.

Well, yesterday morning I found black specks in her water bowl and loads of tiny pinhead crickets under the water bowl and running around the tank

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yeah, can someone post a pic or 2 of their crix breeding set-up.........think I might give it a blast, especially now as I have a small spare 'john cootes' tank :)

cheers

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
go to ricks llivefoods, and you save vastly specially if you buy a few hundred. i odred 250 cickets and 100 waxies last night and it came tojustshort of £9! and delivery is free what ever you buy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts