Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on breeding crix because the shop near me is always running out, and i have to wait ages for suppliers to deliver, and also because i'm tight and dont want to pay for them anymore,lol
I've read a few things on the internet but was wandering if anyone else breeds their own and could spare some advice/tips or tricks that you have learnt in your experiance.
Thanks.
Oh, and are black easier than brown, or vice-versa

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
most people don't bother as it can be a smelly nightmare!
The adults have to be kept in an escape proof container that is cleaned regualarly (otherwise they really stink).
you need to put in a pot of compost for them to lay their eggs in and change on a daily basis...this needs to be put in a seperate tank cos of the cannibilistic nature of crickets..then you have to worry about having the correct sizes together cos otherwise they eat each other etc etc..
like i said most don't bother..
if you wanna breed an insect supply go for lobster roaches..much easier, less smelly and just as good as crickets (in fact better!)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got some lobster roaches today just to see if my BD would eat them, very succesful, the man in the shop said they will breed with no special requirements, just put them in a tub with some dirt/soil and a bit of veg for food and they will breed like rabbits, will the adults eat the eggs or babies or are they veggies.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
no they are not cannibalistic they pretty much just breed! how many you get? you need about 250/300 to get a decent colony going....

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only bought 10 to see if she would eat them, do you know anywhere i can buy them in bulk, shop sells them for 20p each, it would cost me a fortune to buy 300.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
rickeeze does 300 for £30.00....perfect for getting started...if your interested he has put a post in the classified section..on the second page...topic: discount livefood.
would post it here but i don't know how!!
he is really cheap and reliable...he breeds loads of lobster roaches so has a good supply..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts