Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i gather now that breeding 2 different hets together(ie.pied/albino) you get normals that are hets(i think)
i was told the other day that even if u breed the same hets together(ie. albinos)u still might not get any visuals only hets?
if u breed a het albino to a albino are u going to get visuals and hets or just hets again?
can anyone explain this simply?
p.s.talking about royals
p.p.s sure i read aswell that every snake has a 1 in 4 chance of being albino(surely not?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,890 Posts
Ok, imagine breeding two het albinos together.

Each animal has ONE "not albino" gene and one "Albino" gene.

For the sake of simplicity, call "albino" heads and call "not albino" tails.

Flip two coins.
If you get double heads, that's an albino.
If you get double tails that's a normal that is NOT het for albino.
If you get one heads, one tails, that's a Normal that IS het for Albino.

That is EXACTLY how the genetics works - it's a 50/50 chance whether Mum will pass her Albino gene to each baby, and a separate 50/50 chance that Dad will pass HIS albino gene to each baby - and it takes BOTH of them passing that gene in order to get an albino baby (1 chance in 4).

If you breed a het albino to a visual albino, you only need to flip ONE coin - the Albino can only pass a "heads" result to every offspring (producing 100% het albinos) but the het albino can pass EITHER a "heads - albino" or a "tails - Not albino".

If you breed a het albino to a het pied, you have to flip two coins - for ease, pick copper for albino and silver for pied.

You only need two coins because the het pied is not het albino; the het albino is not het pied, so you assume automatically that there is ONE tails for EACH gene.

Heads on both coins means you've got a double het.
Heads on one means you have a het for one trait but not the other.
Tails on both means you have a non-het.

And if you breed an albino to a pied, you don't need to flip any coins - you know you'll get 100% double hets (because each visual animal automatically passes on its "heads" result to each and every offspring).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,176 Posts
with any recessive gene (such as pied or albino) BOTH snakes must cary the gene (either visually or as a het) in order to make more snakes of that morph.

for any recessive gene breeding 2 100% hets together give you a statistal chance of 1 in 4 for each egg to be an albino/pied/recesseve mutant of your choice.

as this is a statistical percentafge it does indeed mean you could hatch all albinos, all hets or any combination in between.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanking you people,i would 1 day like to breed royals,prob be best to start saving for some visuals....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
this might help .....
Introduction to the Punnet Square and the terms Heterozygous, Genotype, Homozygous, Amelanistic, Anerythristic, Double Recessive, Double Heterozygous

Breeding 100% het albino to albino should get 50% visual albino's and the rest will look like normals and will also be 100% het for albino.

Breeding 100% het albino to 100% het albino - it's a 25% chance of an visual albino (aka 1 in 4) baby. The remaing 75% look like normals (3 in4), but some will also carry the albino gene and some won't.

Of this 75%only 2thirds will have the albino gene. It's these normals that are often referred to as 66% hets (as it's a 2 in 3 chance of picking them, the remaining 1 doesn't have the gene).

Sorry if I've confused you all the more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,890 Posts
Zoralyn: Just remember those percentages are per baby, not per clutch.

If you've got a 25% chance of each baby being an Albino, that doesn't mean that every fourth egg will be a visual albino.

It DOES mean that over a sufficient sample size (thousands) you could expect roughly a quarter of them to be albinos, though!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top