Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.... I really cocked up today and wanted you all to know... not for the ridicule but so that noone else will make the same mistake.

I had my first little of mice 2 days ago.... now rcently I have been adding the cotton bedding to the mice cage as they seemed to be using it and enjoying nesting in it.

Cleaned out the cage today and 3 of the pinkies had the bedding wrapped round their limbs.... so tighly in these cases that the limbs had had the blood flow cut off and the limb(s) had atrophied (sp)

Obviously I euthanised the pinkies as soon as i assessed the extent of the damage but wanted you all to be aware of this danger.

The bedding was supposed to be rodent friendly but obviously not for newborns as I've found out.

Please be aware of this ANYONE thinking of breeding.

Cheers

Andy

P.S. I hate animals suffering and this has really gutted me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
noo! your meaning the fluffing cotton candy floss type bedding? that's the WORST type of bedding to use for mice! im really sorry you found out the hard way. the best thing to use is the paper flakes, that is great for all ages of mice. Also, i have used dust estracted wood chips and shawshavings, with hay for them to nest in.

really sorry you lost some babies, are these pet mice your breeding or feeder ones?

·
Registered
416 Posts
yup, it was a while before i realised that the cotton wool type bedding was bad for them.

how are you planning to build the co2 box? i breed mice for pets (long haired/rex/satins) but i am tempted to start breeding my own mice to kill for the snakes, but i really need to know how to kill them humanely. i really really dont want them to suffer any more than they have to.

if you can give me some advice and tips on euthanising them, i would be really grateful

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Co2 box?

I was wanderin how the pinkies etc we buy are killed, i assumed maybe electricted..

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Nope C02 on a big scale..if you eletricuted them you'd have cooked mice.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Really? a quick shock enough to just kill the brain would cook them?
i woulda thought poisoning them would leave nastiness behind... good to know as i have often wandered.
cheers for that, ill sleep well now :)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
its likely they were dead coz the mum left them.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
you can use vinigar and bicarb in a co2 chamber, but I am not sure on the mixing volumes, several people use this method but you must ensure you do this in a very well ventilated area.
pinks can not really be killed with co2, it would take about half an hour or more due to their anti smothering reaction, the options are a flick on the head or freezing :( IMO a flick on the back of the head is more humain

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
my dads always told me that if you flick there noses they will die stright away nice and easy thats how him and his dad used to do it many many years ago its like if we got uppercutted on the nose it can send the bone into the brain and kill us same with flicking a mouse on the nose easy job
manda xx

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Jack and lizardlover I think both the methods you mentioned would cause unnecessary suffering. Jack yours is obviously suffocation, try putting yourself in a tub then freezing, not nice eeh :lol: and lizard not 100% going to kill them all by flicking but I know what you mean as my grandad used to do the same many years ago only with pinkies though.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
so dying from Co2 isnt suffocating?
Sorry never been subjected to it myself..

1 - 20 of 74 Posts