Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm looking after a couple of corn snakes for someone, and the female is gravid and ready to drop eggs, and just have a couple of questions. I'm planning to incubate them in my royal tank unless i can get a consistent temperature going in my poly box incubator, and was wondering if there would be any problems with the humidity in my royals tank affecting the humidity in the egg box? and do you need air holes in the incubation box?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
If you try to incubate in the royal viv, the liklihood is that they will not hatch. Temperatures will be wrong, and the egg box will keep getting knocked by the pythons.
Stick to the polybox. Put the heat mat on the bottom of the box, with a couple of strips of wood across it to sit the egg box on (don't put the box directly onto the mat). You then need a mat stat, and a digital thermometer. The probes for both need to be inside the egg box, with the thermometer itself outside the polybox so that you can check the tmperature inside the egg box without taking off the lid to the polybox. You need to put a thick layer of vermiculite and water inside the egg box (mixed 1:1 by volume, excess water poured off). Don't put air holes in the egg box or the poly box. Set it up and then monitor the temperature until it is sitting at 28C.
Put a second box in the viv, half filled with damp moss, as a laying box.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know how to make a poly box incubator, but i have a shit stat that takes the temperature up to 27, turns off and them only comes back on at 23, so it won't work. The temperature in the royal tank will be set to around that anyway.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
I know how to make a poly box incubator, but i have a shit stat that takes the temperature up to 27, turns off and them only comes back on at 23, so it won't work. The temperature in the royal tank will be set to around that anyway.
I would doubt that you will be able to provide a temperature holding at 28 in a royal viv. They need a higher temperature than thatan and the python/s will keep knocking and moving the egg box. You would be better off picking up a new thermostat, at least then you will have a good chance of hatching the eggs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've just set my poly box up and I use a plastic tub in the bottom, three quarters filled with water and heated with a 100w fish tank heater. Bamboo canes wedged across to support the egg boxes that have small holes along the sides. Egg boxes half filled with damp vermiculite. After a little tweaking, the temp has a swing of 0.5 degs at around 28c. Digi thermometer fitted and Roberts your dads brother.

I have posted a 'how to....' on here with photos of what I made.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iv always used a pulse stat for incubators, well for everthing really. temp fluctuates less in my opinion.
I can't afford to spend £60 on a pulse stat from the shop near me.

I would doubt that you will be able to provide a temperature holding at 28 in a royal viv. They need a higher temperature than thatan and the python/s will keep knocking and moving the egg box. You would be better off picking up a new thermostat, at least then you will have a good chance of hatching the eggs.
As above with the stat, and everything i've read says that 28 is the temperature to incubate at.

I've just set my poly box up and I use a plastic tub in the bottom, three quarters filled with water and heated with a 100w fish tank heater. Bamboo canes wedged across to support the egg boxes that have small holes along the sides. Egg boxes half filled with damp vermiculite. After a little tweaking, the temp has a swing of 0.5 degs at around 28c. Digi thermometer fitted and Roberts your dads brother.

I have posted a 'how to....' on here with photos of what I made.
I've never seen one done like that, and as much as i like the idea and it obviously works, the eggs are due to drop anytime now and i don't have the time or the money. (Don't slate me for not being prepared, they're not me snakes i'm just looking after them for a week)

·
Registered
13,799 Posts
tried posting a wanted ad on your local freecycle group for an aquarium heater?

wonder how you going to buy the food for the hatchlings if you cant spare a tenner for a fishtank heater? you`ll get going through a fair few pinkies?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
1. I work at a reptile shop so get discounted food. 2. i'm raising the hatchlings but i'm sure not paying the food costs because i won't be selling them, the people whose snakes the parents are will be.
I'm not sure how much fish tank heaters cost, but a tenner spent on that is still a tenner less i have to spend on food for the hatchlings. This isn't something i've prepared for, but considering last time these corns layed eggs they were left in the tank (which was nowhere near the right temperature) and some of them had been turned over, they have a much better chance with me.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
I can't afford to spend £60 on a pulse stat from the shop near me.

As above with the stat, and everything i've read says that 28 is the temperature to incubate at.

I've never seen one done like that, and as much as i like the idea and it obviously works, the eggs are due to drop anytime now and i don't have the time or the money. (Don't slate me for not being prepared, they're not me snakes i'm just looking after them for a week)
Hmmm. So you work at a reptile shop and think that you can incubate corn eggs in a royal viv at 28?
1) Royals need a higher temperature than 28C, so
2) With that in mind, how will you manage to maintain a constant 24 hour temperature of 28C? (You won't)
3)You're right - 28C is the temperature for incubation (see 1 above)
4) If you do work in a rep shop, you can get a thermostat at cost price - that's £12 for a mat stat. Or, ask the manager to incubate the eggs in the shop.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Actually, corns eggs are very 'sturdy' when it comes to incubation temperatures. They can successfully hatch when incubated anywhere from 75 to 85 degrees F. One person even did an experiment where some of the eggs were incubated at room temp (73*F!) for varying lengths of time. The egg incubated at room temp the longest took 117 days to hatch, and the low temp had some very interesting effects on the color and pattern.

My own eggs are usually incubated in fluctuatings temps of 78*f to 82*f and take about 70 days to hatch.

Also, cooler incubation temps lead to longer hatch times AND larger, more robust hatchlings. Higher temps = quicker to hatch, but significantly smaller babies.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm. So you work at a reptile shop and think that you can incubate corn eggs in a royal viv at 28?
1) Royals need a higher temperature than 28C, so
2) With that in mind, how will you manage to maintain a constant 24 hour temperature of 28C? (You won't)
3)You're right - 28C is the temperature for incubation (see 1 above)
4) If you do work in a rep shop, you can get a thermostat at cost price - that's £12 for a mat stat. Or, ask the manager to incubate the eggs in the shop.
1). My Royals ambient temperature has been set to about 29 ever since i had him, and it is around 31 by his heat lamp.
2). The dimmer in his tank keeps the ambient temperature between 28 - 29.5 at all times
4). I got a mat stat direct from the wholesaler through the shop, which cost me £19, and as mentioned, it is not very good and the temperature drops ridiculously before it comes back on. As for them being incubated in the shop, the shops eggs are just put in a cricket box in unstatted vivs and left there until they hatch/die, so i'll incubate them myself.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
4). I got a mat stat direct from the wholesaler through the shop, which cost me £19, and as mentioned, it is not very good and the temperature drops ridiculously before it comes back on. As for them being incubated in the shop, the shops eggs are just put in a cricket box in unstatted vivs and left there until they hatch/die, so i'll incubate them myself.
Then look elsewhere for a stat. There's more than one shop.
You can order them online from Blue Lizard or Surrey Pets for about £30 for a pulse stat.

I'm sorry but you don't sound very prepared for this or prepared to do the best for the eggs and snakes.
If you can't afford to keep them why did you take them on?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then look elsewhere for a stat. There's more than one shop.
You can order them online from Blue Lizard or Surrey Pets for about £30 for a pulse stat.

I'm sorry but you don't sound very prepared for this or prepared to do the best for the eggs and snakes.
If you can't afford to keep them why did you take them on?
They aren't my snakes, and i won't be paying for the cost of the upkeep, but i don't have £30 lying around to spend on another stat.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The snakes belong to a school. I have posted numerous times about the conditions the animals are kept in, and i look after them over the holidays otherwise they will be left alone for a week. They get better care with me and if the eggs don't hatch then it's no big loss as they would have died at school anyway. I will be asking for the money for a stat when i get back to school next week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.