Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im am curious about the breeding register. I have a cat whom is registered as not being a breeding cat. Can this be changed? I have bred cats before but not pedigree/thorough bred cats.

A little help?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Only the breeder or the person who originally registered the cat can apply for a change from non-active to active registers.

Speak to the breeder ... if the cat is a good example of the breed they might well be willing to mentor you and give advice on a good stud, what tests need done, any local shows you can take your cat to, etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:rant2:Ahhhh that makes sense. Im not in contact with the breeder so i guess thats out of the question now i guess. Damn.
Oh well. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to contact the breeder to see if she is agreeable to you breeding from her and transferring her onto the active register.

Not all show/breed quality kittens turn out to fulfil their promise and some ugly ducklings turn into swans!

When I was breeding, unless I knew a kitten was being bought as a breeding queen, I registered everything on the non-active register, just to be safe. If someone came back to me to ask if they could breed from a kitten on the non-active, I would consider transferring her.

This is the way most breeders work, because they don't always know who will buy their kittens when they are registering them - so because your cat is on the non-active register doesn't necessarily mean that the breeder thought she was not good enough quality to breed from.

Just curious, but is it the Maine Coon kitten whose photo you've just posted on the 'post a picture of your kitten' thread?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is the same kitten but those pictures were taken in 2005. She is now over 24 months old. She has been brought up very caringly and affectionatly as a much loved house pet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts