Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could PM me or give me a link to a step by step guide on how to breed snakes. Even any good books on it would be a start.

Never done it before and I am very interested.

Any help would be welcomed!

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
well with my royals put male in with female and hey presto we had mating:2thumb:

but seriously :google: is your friend

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is a good link!

Thanks.

What do you do with the hatchlings though? once they are out and about seperate them and put them in seperate boxes/
Do they eat straight away.
Does the mum have maternal instincts to protect her young?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
What do you do with the hatchlings though?

>>>>>Seperate tubs are good

once they are out and about seperate them and put them in seperate boxes

Do they eat straight away.

>>> After their first shed at about a week i think

>>>> I guess so

sorry i cant help much im new to breeding aswell

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
So you can just pick them up from under her? Would she strike?
Depends what you meant by 'her young' - she will probably not be at all happy when you want to take her eggs, as she wants to protect and incubate them, but once they've hatch she's done her job, and won't protect the hatchlings.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
All i know is you can leave the eggs with the female and she will inc them
People usually remove the eggs and put them in an incubator. Leaving the female to incubate them herself can cause problems for the female - not eating, the eggs going bad beneath her etc. Its much safer, and the snakes are more likely to hatch if you put them in an incubator.

someone correct me if im wrong, i only breed corns at the moment: victory:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
People usually remove the eggs and put them in an incubator. Leaving the female to incubate them herself can cause problems for the female - not eating, the eggs going bad beneath her etc. Its much safer, and the snakes are more likely to hatch if you put them in an incubator.

someone correct me if im wrong, i only breed corns at the moment: victory:
Really, I would have thought it would be all the better leaveing them to mother. You probs get a higher hatch rate with an inc tho.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Really, I would have thought it would be all the better leaveing them to mother. You probs get a higher hatch rate with an inc tho.

I use natural method with the mother and find it very effective with no ill effects, the hardest part is removing the bad eggs from a broody mum!

Hatch rate is always over 95%

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I use natural method with the mother and find it very effective with no ill effects, the hardest part is removing the bad eggs from a broody mum!

Hatch rate is always over 95%
Can imagine thats quite difficult! Is it hard getting the set up/temps right?

Emma x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts