Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

now i know a fare bit about breeding, s dont worry not another how dyou breed tpic, but do people prefer to place female in males viv or male in females viv???

I would of thought male int females as the male can then smell the scent more???

What do people thin?? and are people starting to beed now or springtime??

Again these answers wil probably be contradicting as different opinions but would love to hear peopls views!!

J

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
think it depends on the species and the animals themselves..

i can only really speak for chams (don't breed anyone else, it just tends to happen!)

but i put the females in with the males..reason for this is that most males are territorial by nature and if you place them in with the female they have to get adjusted to their new surroundings before thinking about mating...

springtime is naturally a good time to commence any breeding program, however if you do not stick to an annual cycle they can breed all year round...

saying that there is still going to be some variation yearly in temps and sunlight which any rep will react to so they may not wish to mate until the spring...

a lot of the time a drop in temps followed by a rise does the trick. hence the whole winter/spring theory.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Hiya Mate,

Like BELIAL said, all depends on the specie. I personally breed Beardies. And i always introduce the female into the males vivarium, as mentioned the male is very teritorial.

Also one thing to think about is once you have placed the female in with the male, they won't instantly like eachother! As i have always found that sometimes there can be a bit tention between the two for a few days.

As for breeding, it can happen all year around. But most people give there dragons a "winter shutdown" or Brumation. Were you lower the temps and light hours to imitate Winter.

After a few weeks and temps have risen, your dragons will have two things on there mind, food & Mating! as there fertility is on a high.

Anyway, I breed all year around. What specie of lizard are you thinking of breeding?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry guys i thought i put the species in, i want to breed leaoprd geckos, cheers for help so far

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
leopards sometimes need that colder period to get them to mate..often you find that they will naturally mate in spring..like Becky said the period of colder temps followed by a 'spring' warming often stimulates a lot of reps..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts