Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for a wow-coloured T to add to my collection.

As much as I love the look of P.Metallica (and the online care sheets I read inplied that it was an appropriate pet speciaes), I'm seeing comments on other boards suggesting that it's faster, more aggressive and has a more potent bite than I'd really like.

I also like the look of Pamphobeteus insignis- the Purple Bloom T, but again, it seems to more trouble than it's worth.

But you can probably see where I'm setting my criteria.

I want a good sized (bigger the better) display T with 'that cannot be natural' colouring that won't make an aggressive dash for freedom every time I open the viv.

Any thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks again,

Pete

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
Hi all,

As much as I love the look of P.Metallica (and the online care sheets I read inplied that it was an appropriate pet speciaes), I'm seeing comments on other boards suggesting that it's faster, more aggressive and has a more potent bite than I'd really like.

I also like the look of Pamphobeteus insignis- the Purple Bloom T, but again, it seems to more trouble than it's worth.

I want a good sized (bigger the better) display T with 'that cannot be natural' colouring that won't make an aggressive dash for freedom every time I open the viv.

Thanks again,

Pete
P. Metallica are photosensitive, well mine bloody was. The only time I saw her was when I got her and rehoused her.

To be honest although not big I don't honestly think you can beat a B. Smithi. My girl is out 99.9% of the time and they are the quintessential tarantula.

Also not really colourful but absolutely beautiful is the Lasiodora parahybana. I used to have an absolutely huge girl who would be out on display nigh on all the time. She would flick hairs though if she felt like I was disturbing her too much.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've just been looking at the Salmon Pink and am very tempted. Are they readily available?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
Thanks. I've just been looking at the Salmon Pink and am very tempted. Are they readily available?

Yes they're readily available. Get huge so need a a bigger enclosure and like I typed can and do flick hair if they feel threatened. But they're stunning and an adult female looks unreal sat out in the open. Try and get a juvenile female. That way you'll get the chance to see her grow whilst knowing you've got a female.

Reactions: wilkinss77

·
Registered
33,099 Posts

Yes, very. Try to get a sexed female juv & watch her grow!

Other suggestions are:
Giant white kneed birdeater (Acanthoscurria geniculata)
Green bottle blue (Chromatopelma cyanopubescens)
Mexican fire leg (Brachypelma boehmi)
Mexican red knee (B. smithi)
Peru giant stripe knee birdeater (Lasiodorides striatus)

·
Registered
11,677 Posts

Other suggestions are:
Green bottle blue is a great call Wilks. Plus being heavy webbers you get the bonus of having a natural and ridiculously nice looking enclosure.

·
Registered
33,099 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks again,

Pete
The problem with the colourful Pamphobeteus t's is that only the mature males get the luminous, metallic colours- & the males don't live very long, only a few months.

·
Registered
17,668 Posts

Other suggestions are:
I could really suggest the above too, my two guys are always out and about, very beautiful too, just little movement orientated.
Mine are evil little monsters aha.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I have some empty vivs to fill and I'm tempted by the Salmon Pink and Green Bottle Blue.

So, I suppose the next question is where you find Juvenile Female tarantulas of the species you want?

I've been digging online and the main sellers always seem to have every type but the ones you're looking for.

Thanks again,

Pete

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I have some empty vivs to fill and I'm tempted by the Salmon Pink and Green Bottle Blue.

So, I suppose the next question is where you find Juvenile Female tarantulas of the species you want?

I've been digging online and the main sellers always seem to have every type but the ones you're looking for.

Thanks again,

Pete
Martin at Bugzuk had got them in. Send him an email and see if he can sex them. Failing that this place is brilliant. I've picked up 5 spiders in the last few weeks. Check the classifieds regularly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts