Reptile Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
Though obviously the money is part of it, I also think that at least an email to the exhibitors saying it was cancelled and why; would have taken the edge off the disappointment. I find the fact that the only reason I know it's been cancelled was that I looked in reptile classifieds and saw someone selling some stenodactylus because BRAS had been cancelled. If I hadn't decided to sit down for a quick coffee before sorting all the boxes out to put the animals in in the morning, I would be getting up at 5.30am to get ready and be driving to the venue. I am only hoping that all the exhibitors now know it has been cancelled, and don't turn up the cancelled event with a car filled with animals.
Exactly. I just happened to catch a post on FB while talking to my daughter.

I have had no direct contact from BRAS whatsoever. The only email I have had was from ERAC.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
With respect, I think that most of the anger is down to losing money. It appears that the exhibitors have been left to pick up the tab.

And if the venue cancelled... why is there a tab to pick up ?
Typically venues require payment in full before an event takes place and have a claws in the contract that payment is non-refundable in the event of cancellation, this is why it often appears in the agreements between shows and exhibits.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Typically venues require payment in full before an event takes place and have a claws in the contract that payment is non-refundable in the event of cancellation, this is why it often appears in the agreements between shows and exhibits.
But they would refund if the venue canceled not the exhibitors

·
Super Moderator
7,064 Posts
I don't really see what supporting the FBH has to do with the thread. Would that have changed the outcome of this ? and if so... how ?
Not in this instance but to make our hobby stronger so that this wont happen in the future,we have to fight the antis on a united front and the F.B.H. are there to help.A few years ago there were no shows,we dont want that to happen again.

It was cancelled at the last minute because of threats to the organisers ,I dont see how they can be blamed,the people that made these threats are to blame.I would think about things twice if I had my life threatened,wouldn`t you.

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
So BRAS paid the venue. The Venue Cancelled but would not refund, and a percentage of that that has been passed on to us.

Would the event insurance not cover this ?

I do understand that money has been lost here and that is has to come from somewhere but an email/phone call from the organisers would have gone a LONG way to handling this. I'm sorry, but leaving it to forum gossip/arguing/patronising comments has been a very poor way of handling this.

Colin tells us to get behind clubs and the FBH... but how about the clubs etc that have our money and goodwill getting behind us and telling us what is going on ?

It works both ways.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
What I do find a bit poor is if they were having trouble selling tables it's not very nice that the people who did support the club and book tables have been stung there is no way on earth that bras has conned anyone helen and mick are nice people but I beleive the club should foot the bill and not the people who supported them

·
Registered
57 Posts
you all realise these idiots have won now every event all they have to do is threaten and the event will be cancelled this is blooming ridiculous they wouldnt risk the lives of all those reptiles they probably dont even have the brain power to do anything else its probably a one man band sitting at home with nothing better to do other than threaten people where are the police in all this why are they not offering support i say the expo should go ahead and we all as a rep community keep an eye out for each other or these imbosiles will always win :whip:

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Their threat is real and these threats do need to be taken seriously, animal rights are prepared to go to any length to get their message heard, one of their nutters firebombed our local boots store and burnt it to the ground and then firebombed a small local shop for some reason or another such as they sold leather handbags or something similar.

Barry Horne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
306 Posts
any chance of ERAC stepping in to fill the breach? September is a long way away.....

With regards to BRAS whereas circumstances may be unfortunate, their handling of the situation has been abysmal. You would expect better from what appears to be a well respected organisation. Really not doing themselves any favours.

Dont let the ignorant protesters win! They do realise that Lack of captive breeding would only increase import of wild caught specimens right?. These people truly are morons.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Their threat is real and these threats do need to be taken seriously, animal rights are prepared to go to any length to get their message heard, one of their nutters firebombed our local boots store and burnt it to the ground and then firebombed a small local shop for some reason or another such as they sold leather handbags or something similar.

Barry Horne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well that's a terrible example of how animal rights activists can disrupt an exotics show causing a financial impact on sellers...every single firebomb he planted was in stores selling fur and advocated animal testing etc and set to detonate at midnight so no humans were hurt...so of course blowing up a hall of exotic animals is going to happen right? :bash:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just to let people know that have booked a table by law the organisers MUST refund your deposits there is no such thing as none refundable deposits and all they are allowed to take is a maximum of 33% for a handling charge BUT I think thats only if you cancel and due to it being cancelled by the organisers then they should issue a full refund.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Well that's a terrible example of how animal rights activists can disrupt an exotics show causing a financial impact on sellers...every single firebomb he planted was in stores selling fur and advocated animal testing etc and set to detonate at midnight so no humans were hurt...so of course blowing up a hall of exotic animals is going to happen right? :bash:
Actually it was a boots the chemist store and a local shop that was about as connected with selling fur and advocated animal testing as much as you do by sitting on a leather seat. So he burned these places to the ground in the night - sorry i didnt realise that made it ok??? He also planted firebombs in fishing tackle shops and some were discovered in fishing jackets during the day which could have exploded and killed anybody had they gone off properly. Would you risk having your house burned down over a reptile show?? seriously would you?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
But what you have to realise is, there are people like Barry Horne still out there. They are members of many animal rights groups, and after doing a bit of digging on the APA there are some pretty nasty people amongst them. Elaine Toland is just the political mouth piece of a large organisation. Most were members of the ALF back in the 70's and 80's, and they were a right nasty mob:devil:

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Just to let people know that have booked a table by law the organisers MUST refund your deposits there is no such thing as none refundable deposits and all they are allowed to take is a maximum of 33% for a handling charge BUT I think thats only if you cancel and due to it being cancelled by the organisers then they should issue a full refund.
Can you tell us exactly what the legislation is regarding this?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
But what you have to realise is, there are people like Barry Horne still out there. They are members of many animal rights groups, and after doing a bit of digging on the APA there are some pretty nasty people amongst them. Elaine Toland is just the political mouth piece of a large organisation. Most were members of the ALF back in the 70's and 80's, and they were a right nasty mob:devil:
I think we should organise a fight, let's kick the :censor: out of those vegans!!!

Reactions: Gazfather

·
Registered
167 Posts

This excuse doesn't wash I'm afraid Chris, where exactly did it state in any of your literature that this was the case? Legally I think you wouldn't stand a chance if anyone (or a group) take this to court as a class action

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
This excuse doesn't wash I'm afraid Chris, where exactly did it state in any of your literature that this was the case? Legally I think you wouldn't stand a chance if anyone (or a group) take this to court as a class action
While I think this situation has been handled terribly anybody that would consider taking legal action against a reptile association shouldn't bother keeping reptiles.

We're all on the same 'side'... They just need to step their game up

101 - 120 of 148 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.