Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if brown crickets can be left in the viv over night with beardies? I have read the horror stories about the blacks.

Hoppers are believed to be ok is that correct? Don't fancy losing any digits.

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
I personally wouldnt leave anything in the tank overnight! Obi got bitten by a Brown Cricket the other night!!

I believe Hoopers are safer but i still wouldnt risk it
xxx

·
Registered
250 Posts
i loose them all the time, they dont seem to bother my beardie they go for the veg in the tank. plus my perches on a log to sleep although they do bite if you can find them i would take them out but if not dont worry should be fine :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have a very big and busy viv and two babies that arent the greatest hunters i have had black crix this week (all pet shop had) and have removed the little b*stards from the polystyrene background where the bd sleep.
I have heard on here that some people take the bd out in to a large tub to feed but wouldnt that be stressful ? other advice which was good was to temporarily block off the viv and move as they grow but some items afixed and very difficult to seal. not sure what to do for the best?

·
Registered
323 Posts
ok

ive been told not to worry about crickets nibbling the beardes on a night. just make sure to put a miost bit of cabbage in on a night and that will keep them busy .and full up until there the next meal

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I always remove them if I see them after the lights have gone off, and bd is asleep.wouldnt risk it.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Neonius said:
Don't risk it Apaz, Maxine (tombraider) will tell you from personal experience.
Yep. I wouldnt risk it. Ive always been very careful when it comes to leaving crickets in and try to remove every last one. Ive even left fresh veg in over night for them to nibble on. One night my little boy was refusing to sleep so i didnt have chance to make sure the viv was cricket free. the little swines had been hiding in the holes in the cork bark and duriring the night they decided they fancies meat for tea not veg. I woke up to a beardie with a leg completely hanging off which resulted in it being ampitated at the shoulder.

Since then I refuse to feed mine large crickets and i either feed freshly frozen/thawed or stunned one at a time.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Similarly, I feed Hoppers, not because they wont eat my lizards, but because when it comes to turning the lights off they are easier to find and remove. They dont hide in the crevices like the crickets do, and at least if you miss one it is likely to be safer than leaving crickets in there.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might not of made my problem clear enough. Its not that I want to leave them in I just cant find them, the ones that have evaded eviction are the devious buggers who wait until late and go for the babies. I have been able to get them in the end but i am keeping guard untill the early hours, cant do that every night.

Tried putting BD in small plastic tank with a couple of crix but that stressed them out, ended up squashing the crix heads and removing their back legs (still moving but slowly) sounds mean but rather the crix get eaten than the dragons. Live food delivery still not arrived but have ordered meal worms (for a treat ) brown crix and small hoppers. IF hoppers are easier to locate and they eat them i will carry on with them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
ok

little trik awkward to do but it works if you have a idea were there hiding empty one of the kids felt tips and put double sided tape in side. that way the criks get stuck and youre beardes wont fit down the tube try it honest it works :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I leave brown crix in my dragons viv but never black, and only during the day whilst they are awake. When dragons are asleep it takes ages to wake the buggers up! If a cricket wanted a feed in the nights it will have no problem chewing on a lizard!

I leave borwn crix in my leos viv over night. Only a few for him to have fun with mind. Basically he's noctural so he'll know if a crix is after him.

Crickets are noctural whilst locust are diernal (sp) so its safer leaving locust in ovenight.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
If you want to catch escapee crix easily, try getting a jar (i use a herbs jar) and fill it with bug grub. The crix wander in and cant get back out again. Also works with no food in the jar but you'll attract more with food :lol: My geckos are nocturnal, so I have the jar leaned at an angle during the day when they won't fall in it and I have it standing upright on the night. Crix caught both ways but more fall in when its at an angle :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts