Reptile Forums banner

brown water

761 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Trillian 
#1 ·
i have set up a tank had it going for about 3 days its half land half water but the wood i have put in has turned the water brown i have done 3 complete water changes is there a way around ,this i have a fluval 305 filter and just replaced all the guts

#3 ·
The tannins in bogwood will colour the water for several weeks/months but won't do any harm to the fish. If it really bothers you, you can run it through the dishwasher on a power cycle (WITHOUT DETERGENT!!) and then rinse it thoroughly afterwards. Alternatively, soak it for a couple of weeks in a bucket of water, changing the water every morning. : victory:

#5 ·
I havent got the patience to wait months for it to sort itself out.
All good things come to those who wait. All my tanks have lovely pieces of decorative bogwood in them and all are now crystal clear...:2thumb:

#7 ·
its the sand and the wood

#11 ·
Its the bogwood. Great idea with the dishwasher. but no detergent, just a nice hot rinse through.
My Oscars love the brown in the water, and so do my Pirahna.

P

#12 ·
YEAH I HAVE CARBON in the filter not really practical for the dishwasher.and no i have not decicded what to put in there yet im not the sort of person to rush into things it was going to be for dart frogs but then done a bit of research and found out they cant swim :lol2: but im liking the idea of a turtle but only really want one thet will stay small

#15 ·
There's no need to keep carbon in the filter on a permanent basis as it just removes any plant fertilizers so if you have a planted tank, it's a no-no. I only use carbon to remove excess meds. in the Q tank. However, you could run it for a few days after each water change to help remove the tannins. As I said previously, it WILL clear eventually so just be patient. I quite like the look of your tanks anyway - very natural and atmospheric. : victory:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.