Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have read and been told conflicting information regarding the brumation of beardies.
So I have a few questions.

1. Is brumation neccesary/beneficial for beardies?

2. What temps do you maintain , day/night , during brumation?

3. How long should the brumation period last?

4. Is it the same as brumating corns for example, regarding feeding, ie no food?

thanks for the help

John

·
Registered
954 Posts
hi

good question im new to beardies and need to know this i have one beardie now thats kinda like that now he wont eat move or anything sometimes i have to check if hes alive from wot i was told i must leave him to it but keep thinking hes passed away wot u guys think any help be great

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
These aren't the ones I bred are they John ?? They are probably right on the limit for brumating, quite surprised if they have.

1. Is brumation neccesary/beneficial for beardies?
No not at all, if the dragon wants to brumate though it will.

2. What temps do you maintain , day/night , during brumation?
Brumation doesn't mean hibernation therefore they will wake up during brumation, they will have a drink and a bask every now and again. You'll notice this more when they start to come out...

I dropped the cool temps down to 70-75f during the day but I still maintained a hot spot of 90f in case they wanted to bask when awake. Although at the beginning they won't do this much. Night time temps should be kept about 65f as normal.

3. How long should the brumation period last?
Mine started September and snapped out February time and he was as horney as hell !

4. Is it the same as brumating corns for example, regarding feeding, ie no food?
To an extent yes I guess it is. When you notice they start sleeping more, lying in the cool areas, they will automatically start to stop eating anyway. The key is to try get everything out of the stomachs, give them plenty of water. If they have undigested crix etc in them whilst there temps are low it could lead to trouble going to the bog when they wake and also the food will rot and that in itself could require vet attention !

Gaz

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Gaz

No not the ones you bred mate , they are still feeding well.
We have now got some adults as well , we were advised by the previous owner that brumation was essential to have any success at breeding

cheers

John

·
Registered
363 Posts
hi,

our beardie who is about a year old now is doing this, sleeping in the cool end, im enticing him with a little veg each day and about 7 medium locusts every 2 days,

if im honest im worried as he seems to have a little more loose skin than he did, he just lies around like a loppy dog to be honest, just i find it worrying if he's a little active and then not eating he'll loose weight? whats the best to do?

thanks
:2thumb:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
try and keep him hydrated mate, loose skin can be due to dehydration so make sure he is offered water by whatever method he prefers and he should be ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts