Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soon i will be starting to cycle my carpets for breeding purpose i plan to leave them together for the five days in the week and separate at weekends during the cooler months, could i use the weekends as an opportunity to offer smaller prey items to feed them ? literally like a rat wiener or do i not bother feeding them at all during the cooler months ? any help on this would be much appreciated :2thumb:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is my understanding they are not fed while cooled as they don't receive the necessary heat to be digesting it all the time.
I am looking into cooling mine this year as well.
ive read that some peoples carpets feed all year round, even in the winter months as they are always provided with a hot spot and only night time temps are dropped and the photo-period adjusted to simulate winter... out of curiosity when are you going to start cooling yours ?

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
depends how oyu cool, some people only cool over night, some cool 24/7.

Its very early to be thinking about cooling, you want to start dropping temps Nov / Dec time.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
ive read that some peoples carpets feed all year round, even in the winter months as they are always provided with a hot spot and only night time temps are dropped and the photo-period adjusted to simulate winter... out of curiosity when are you going to start cooling yours ?
Looking at starting about mid November.
And I was going for dropping temps over night, I wasn't aware you could turn them off completely 24/7.
Would you still feed them if they were provided with heat during the day Terry?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
depends how oyu cool, some people only cool over night, some cool 24/7.

Its very early to be thinking about cooling, you want to start dropping temps Nov / Dec time.
arghhhh i was going to start october time, so a month too soon then.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Not really, there are some breeders who start in October as well.
Other people have said anywhere from mid September to December so I just went with somewhere in the middle :2thumb:
If I stop feeding the last feeds I give will be end of October.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.