Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

my first post here :)

I'd love some advice suggestions for brumating several snakes. I have a 'snake fridge' (lucky reptile incubator), and 3-4 snakes I can chill for the winter. It has an internal volume of H37cmxW27cmxD18cm

I'm wondering how to organise the small space so that the snakes all have access to water especially in the early days of cooling.

The biggest is a 1.5m Elaphe schrencki, the smallest is a 1.1m dione, the others are another schrencki and a climacophora.

I'm an open book for suggestions!

thanks

Edward

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Leave them in their vivs while you cool them so you can drop the temps gradually and they might also poop again, they should have been left to empty their bowls before dropping temps though.
Once at brumating temperature I suppose you can put them in rubs with a water bowl each, something to hide in would probably go down well too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hannah. I live in a centrally heated apartment building - it is tricky to lower the temperatures enough - I can turn off the snakes heating, but that will just take the down to at best 19.

I'm not exactly clear what a rub is? I have some plastic carry boxes, but it's be tricky to get snake +bedding/hide + water in each one especially Brisi the big schrencki. I suppose the others could go in the boxes and Brisi could roam just have some water, a hide/bedding and roam free.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
If you cannot get them down to brumating temperature then do not do it.
If they cannot brumate correctly you will only cause health issues in the snakes as their metabolism will not slow down properly.
A lot of people use a cold garage for brumating snakes.

And lettign one roam free is not really a good idea.

What kind of rat snakes are they? A lot will breed readily without the need to brumate them anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Hannah,

I meant that I could not get them to brumating temps in their terrariums - but as I said I have an incubator that I can use to lower the temperatures, and the schrencki would be free within the lockable incubator who's volume I described in the original post.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Hi Hannah,

I meant that I could not get them to brumating temps in their terrariums - but as I said I have an incubator that I can use to lower the temperatures, and the schrencki would be free within the lockable incubator who's volume I described in the original post.
Ah ok, should be ok then. Was gonna say you'll struggle to brumate a russian at room temp. :lol2:

Personally I'd still prefer they were all contained in their own tubs rather than have one free inside the incubator but it's up to you.
Keeping it dark as well helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'll experiment with some setups...and keep the window of the incubator covered. It's just hard to fit a 4 tubs in there with one big enough for the Russian.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Well I'll experiment with some setups...and keep the window of the incubator covered. It's just hard to fit a 4 tubs in there with one big enough for the Russian.
You'll have to have a play with the space, they shouldn't need much space each or a large water bowl, just enough for drinks now and again and if you top it up regularly, small dog food bowls should be fine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you over fill the exo terra incubator, whilst cooling, it can cause problems for the fan, resulting in the thermostat failing.
I tested mine out this time last year. I put in 5 small rubs which almost filled the interior space.
It ran at a perfect 10C for almost three weeks then over night something went wrong and the digital display was reading 39C.
The digi thermomiters inside the rubs were reading 35C.
I turned the exo off, and left it off for a few hours. This sorted out the thermostat, and it now holds a steady temperature, but the digi display is still 4C out.
I didnt use the exo for cooling any of my animals last year, as you can imagine, but i did use it for incubating (after extensive testing) with no problems this spring/summer.
I wont be using it for cooling this year either as it cant hold enough boxes.
You need to leave the fan unobstructed at all times, meaning you can only use half of the space.
Im using my household fridge set at min. It holds a perfect 8C.
Hope this helps.

I realise yours is the lucky reptile, but they probably work the same way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.