Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am writing here due to there being a lot of people that will have information on what I am searching for. My OH is writing a dissertation alongside Dr. A. Smart on "Lizard Trading in the UK" and we need at least fifty websites with available stock-lists. The stock-lists have to contain lizards, but it's obviously not a problem if they contain loads of other animals within them because they will be filtered through. If you do not wish to post the links publicly, by all means private message me.

If there is enough input they are more than happy to acknowledge the forums within the paper :).

Thank you for reading.

Regards,

Anu.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Trading doesnt just happen from shops. Many people buy and sell privately too. These 'hobby' breeders also have websites with available animals.
These are also accounted for and links would be greatly appreciated. I went to edit my above post, however I did not state "shops", I said stock-lists which have lizards within them, this would include private breeders etc.

Regards,

Anu.

·
5,234 Posts
Perhaps people would be more inclined (or indeed able) if you were to put into context the 'research' being done, and the eventual aim. A title (in this case, a very broad, ambiguous one) is pretty unhelpful when you want to know how, and to what end information will be used.

Andy

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps people would be more inclined (or indeed able) if you were to put into context the 'research' being done, and the eventual aim. A title (in this case, a very broad, ambiguous one) is pretty unhelpful when you want to know how, and to what end information will be used.

Andy
"Does the trade in the UK represent their endangeredness in the wild?".

Regards,

Anu.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
"Does the trade in the UK represent their endangeredness in the wild?".

Regards,

Anu.

I'm presuming by that title that your OH would be looking for WC on stock lists and trying to establisht the CB trade v WC trade. Going to be pretty hard to put those lists together and stay 'unbiased' I would think. The two trades are essentially different as the breeders/suppliers are specilist in certain areas at times.

I know of a few private breeders and importers but unsure if they would like their lists scrutinised as they are predominantly trade lists. Those are the lists your looking for really, the trade ones rather than the shop/breeder ones. I do know they are hard to get hold of and a lot of the time you have to sign a 'none disclosure' to get them.

Might want to talk to some of the big companies and ask if the suppliers will talk to you about their lists. They may give you numbers on what % is CB and what % is Wc though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm presuming by that title that your OH would be looking for WC on stock lists and trying to establisht the CB trade v WC trade. Going to be pretty hard to put those lists together and stay 'unbiased' I would think. The two trades are essentially different as the breeders/suppliers are specilist in certain areas at times.

I know of a few private breeders and importers but unsure if they would like their lists scrutinised as they are predominantly trade lists. Those are the lists your looking for really, the trade ones rather than the shop/breeder ones. I do know they are hard to get hold of and a lot of the time you have to sign a 'none disclosure' to get them.

Might want to talk to some of the big companies and ask if the suppliers will talk to you about their lists. They may give you numbers on what % is CB and what % is Wc though.
Nope. But not going to disclose much more than I have though, due to it being a work in progress and not a done thing. As for you biased concerns, do you believe this has just been thrown together on the fly? :lol2:

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Nope. But not going to disclose much more than I have though, due to it being a work in progress and not a done thing. As for you biased concerns, do you believe this has just been thrown together on the fly? :lol2:
lol maybe I could have worded it better. Putting the info together from different kinds of sources is going to be hard to get a balance on so his disertation doesn't come across as looking biased in either direction. I've done one myself and its a prat of a job putting all that info together and trying to keep a balance between the opposing sides of an argument. I'd love a read of it when its been finalised and submitted though.

I know there are a couple of importers on here that send out regular lists of what they have available.

Might wish to contact, coast to coast exotics. They have good lists and may be able to get permission to share them with you or put you in contact with their suppliers for the info.

Also look for a guys called Tom Halvorsen reptiles, he may be able to help you with further contacts also....Note on their website the contact page looks like its not working as its black text on black background. Type as normal then highlight so see what it was you typed lo it does work and send fine thoughl. They know of it and have informed their webmaster.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol maybe I could have worded it better. Putting the info together from different kinds of sources is going to be hard to get a balance on so his disertation doesn't come across as looking biased in either direction. I've done one myself and its a prat of a job putting all that info together and trying to keep a balance between the opposing sides of an argument. I'd love a read of it when its been finalised and submitted though.

I know there are a couple of importers on here that send out regular lists of what they have available.

Might wish to contact, coast to coast exotics. They have good lists and may be able to get permission to share them with you or put you in contact with their suppliers for the info.

Also look for a guys called Tom Halvorsen reptiles, he may be able to help you with further contacts also.
Ok, thank you.

·
Registered
445 Posts
What degree is it for out of interest as I am currently in my 4th year Environmental Degree and ...well am being nosey is all!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Who is Dr. A. Smart?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Is endangeredness even a word? :whistling2:
Your 'OH' may want to have a look at that before they submit anything.
http://www.kwedekind.de/Eingang1/PdfFiles/2005_Two_Perceptions_of_Endangeredness_-_Focus_on_Beja.pdf

*cough*. This word is riddled through scientific papers, in fact, you would be dumbfounded by how many scientific words your typical checker will not deem a legit word. Anyway, if you have nothing constructive, I don't believe this is the topic for you.

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't beleive this topic is for me :whistling2:

If you want help, i'd like to make a polite suggestion, lose the attitude : victory:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Hey guys,

I am writing here due to there being a lot of people that will have information on what I am searching for. My OH is writing a dissertation alongside Dr. A. Smart on "Lizard Trading in the UK" and we need at least fifty websites with available stock-lists. The stock-lists have to contain lizards, but it's obviously not a problem if they contain loads of other animals within them because they will be filtered through. If you do not wish to post the links publicly, by all means private message me.

If there is enough input they are more than happy to acknowledge the forums within the paper :).

Thank you for reading.

Regards,

Anu.
I really can't see many traders/suppliers being too willing to hand over stock lists. Especially when it comes to WC animals.

You may find things easier if you are a little more open about the subject and direction of the study. There has to be some quid pro quo. If you do then you may find things go a little smoother. This type of information is not going to be handed over easily.

As an aside there is an interesting thread in the snake section on a related subject:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/776819-wc-pythons-laundered-through-farms.html

It could be worth contacting longqi. He is based in Indonesia and will be able to give an 'on the ground' view of the market in WC.

Edit: Oh and btw, your other half isnt the only one to have done a BSc. Quite a few on here are at least degree educated and there are more then a few doctorates kicking around these parts. Talking down to people will not get you far.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Agree with Lord V.

There's going to need to be some give and take from your OH. Incidentally, why is it you asking and not her? Surely she would be able to give better insight as to the nature of the paper?

Unless traders really know and understand what the nature and objective of the paper is, I can't imagine they're going to freely hand over stock lists and where that stock has come from (i.e. WC, CB etc). For all they know, the paper is going to be all about why the reptile trade is a terrible thing and should be banned/policed.

As a degree student myself, I would say that her title sounds a little vague as the reptile market, like most other markets, is very broad and encompasses many facets as to why stock is available the way it is. Me personally, I would possibly want to rework the title a little more so it's more specific and less... 15 year old essay sounding (not wishing to sound harsh).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't beleive this topic is for me :whistling2:

If you want help, i'd like to make a polite suggestion, lose the attitude : victory:
Why post in the first place? Are even aware of why there might have been a post which had some form of "attitude" within it? Yeah, you get jokers everywhere on forums, doesn't mean they should be appreciated.

I really can't see many traders/suppliers being too willing to hand over stock lists. Especially when it comes to WC animals.

You may find things easier if you are a little more open about the subject and direction of the study. There has to be some quid pro quo. If you do then you may find things go a little smoother. This type of information is not going to be handed over easily.

As an aside there is an interesting thread in the snake section on a related subject:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/776819-wc-pythons-laundered-through-farms.html

It could be worth contacting longqi. He is based in Indonesia and will be able to give an 'on the ground' view of the market in WC.

Edit: Oh and btw, your other half isnt the only one to have done a BSc. Quite a few on here are at least degree educated and there are more then a few doctorates kicking around these parts. Talking down to people will not get you far.
Talking down to people? I requested links to shop/breeder stock-lists and I get some joker come in thinking they'd poke a bit of fun at something they believed was incorrect, where in fact the word used was accurate.

Agree with Lord V.

There's going to need to be some give and take from your OH. Incidentally, why is it you asking and not her? Surely she would be able to give better insight as to the nature of the paper?

Unless traders really know and understand what the nature and objective of the paper is, I can't imagine they're going to freely hand over stock lists and where that stock has come from (i.e. WC, CB etc). For all they know, the paper is going to be all about why the reptile trade is a terrible thing and should be banned/policed.

As a degree student myself, I would say that her title sounds a little vague as the reptile market, like most other markets, is very broad and encompasses many facets as to why stock is available the way it is. Me personally, I would possibly want to rework the title a little more so it's more specific and less... 15 year old essay sounding (not wishing to sound harsh).
Of course it is vague, why would I give out a proper dissertation title which can typically give out methodologies? What I've stated the title is, is a summary of something that is being looked at, not limited to, due to the fact that it is someone's actual paper in the making.

In summary:

I could have come on here and fed the forums some :censor: about looking for a very particular colour pattern in a specific lizard, say for example, a Bearded Dragon/Leopard Gecko. I could have asked people "please send me links to shops/breeders which evidently have any B.D./L.G. within their listings that they are currently showing online". I could have then suggested that I'd e-mail the site owner asking for pictures or whatnot to determine whether the animal I was looking for was something that they currently had in stock.

This would have EASILY been accepted by readers and I would've greatly appreciated it when receiving an appropriate number of websites, but instead, I state why I am actually asking.

All this topic was, was a simple attempt at a shortcut via asking people for a link that they'd more than likely have as a bookmark or favourited page. If you READ the original post, it was asking for stock-lists, something that a lot of shops have updated online in the current age. Not trade-lists, not where the shop gets their lizards, not how they got their lizards. Just a simple table with their current stock.

However, what do I get? I answer the majority and people are still too fickle-minded, people would rather attempt to poke fun at titles which are accurate and demonstrate that their knowledge is inferior (just that person that said "Hurhur, that even a word?"). It was my choice to make the topic, therefore meaning that my OH had no reason to make an account and her own topic, my words to her were "this will save time, they will answer quickly and it's only links to websites".

Asking for and getting extremely recent documentation from a Durrell Professor was easier.

Thank you to those who took their time to read and had suggestions other than what I was asking for. Even though this wasn't what was being looked for, your positive, not really helping reply is very much appreciated. (Not sarcasm)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts