Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got any idea what a buffalo worm is? from what i can make out its like a mealie? no good if thats the case,also does anyone crush the waxies heads i havent been doing that and got abit worried i should be! can you tell me if silk worms do really smell like rotting corpses,i read that somewhere cos this guy reckons he tries his reps food as he wouldnt feed them anything he wouldnt eat and he says silks are rank........err eating crix hoppers etc must be nice then,ill give it a miss and wait to see what you lot think! happy new year to you all too!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
dont know about wax worms, but i feed mealies and morio worms and crush the heads of both these, heard that they can survive after being swallowed if they arent chewed up properly, and even read of a mealy eating its way out of a bd stomach, not sure how true it is though.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
hmmm never herd of buffalow worms.must be a american thing.No idea on the silkworms neither i can never get hold of any.every1 is after them.they seem to be popular with leos in america or so im told.i dont cruch the heads on waxies.iv never had a problem with my leos and they love them.I was told to crush the head on mealworms though as they can sometimes eat through a beardies stomach but a lot of people have told me its a myth and again iv had no problems. :wink:

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
only ask about buffalo worms as ive been offered them but he wont take mealies or morios crushed or not crushed and i think buffalos are small mealworm,im keen on gettting silk or butter worms as he loves waxies but i know they are bad for him,hes actually eating really well now on hoppers and brown crix but id like to change it round abit so hes not bored.........any other suggestions,hes an adult leo if that helps.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
silk worms are great! they are a bit pricey but they are very nutritious...excellent for leos! i usually get mine of tpsuk...but i don't know if they have any at the mo...

got em from elsewhere too but i can't remember where!? will try and find out...they have to be fed special mulberry paste that's what makes them smell...kinda like moldy grass....maybe! but really good for most reps...

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
lol @mealworms eatin there way through a beardie.this is a urban legend has anyone ever seen it happen? lol beardies have a small amount of venom (if u dont believe me check venom doc brian fry hes found that most lizard species have venom) anyway......the venom will kill any mealworm that is still living after being chewed :wink: waxxys heads shouldnt need crushed as waxxys dont bite (they have more of a face than a head anyway) lol. as for silkworm...butterworm...pheonix worms...trebo worms all these are excellant lizard food.butterworms contain 23 % more calcium than any other live food.worth the extra cash especially if u have chams.
still laughing at the fact some1 eats there livefood b4 the lizard does. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
weeminx said:
as for silkworm...butterworm...pheonix worms...trebo worms all these are excellant lizard food.butterworms contain 23 % more calcium than any other live food.worth the extra cash especially if u have chams.
Do you use this varity for all yr lizards then? do you order of the net? if so where do you get them from? thanks

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
pollywog.com do most of them andrew tilson mills website he breeds dendrobates he brings em directly from america....livefood uk they have butterworms occasionally but your best bet is pollywog. :D our lizards all have a variety of these (well not the iggy of course) lol

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
weeminx said:
lol @mealworms eatin there way through a beardie.this is a urban legend has anyone ever seen it happen? lol beardies have a small amount of venom (if u dont believe me check venom doc brian fry hes found that most lizard species have venom) anyway......the venom will kill any mealworm that is still living after being chewed :wink:
Your right there. Its rubbish that mealies of any description and size would stay alive inside a dragons stomach and eat there way through... As said beardies do have 'venom' so to speak but its only used to aid digestion. Lizards stomachs have very powerful enzimes that will kill food pretty much instantly and certainly won't take that long for it to eat its way out....

Nothing you feed your dragon should be anything but alive. That way the insect keeps all of its nutritional value.

As for waxies! They as soft as shite! very easy to digest but very fatty so don't feed to many hey :wink: its like giving candy to a baby, they are gonna chomp it up!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Buffalo worms are beetle larvae that are used with rearing crickets. As far as I know, their not something to feed reps on a regular basis.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My cresties & whites tree frog absolutely love butterworms - and they smell really really nice kinda sweet and fruity (unlike the silk worms - not that i've sniffed them quite as often :shock: ). Also they're great because you can keep them alive in the fridge for ages

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pollywog only have phoenix worms at mo,what are they like? he likes soft squishy waxies not crunchy morios or mealies strange as he like crunchy hoppers,does anyone have a site or supplier where they get regular butter worms,seems they are seasonal but i really wanna get some,silk worm out of the question think they are the holy grail of rep foods!!

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
where have you found that does butter worms,price not really an issue as they are meant to last ages and i dont think they are a staple food so just a treat.also as an after thought what do you all feed your waxies,ive never considered they need food! poor things stuck in fridge in sawdust then fed to my leo! only just realised if you have to feed the silk worm you must have to feed the waxies but what? def need answers to this as ive got lots of waxies!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Butterworms

Jurrasic pets have butterworms at £2.50 for ten, they are a little pricey compared with waxies. The website is awful, to get the benefit of paying P&P get at least two packs, but they deliver fast and in good condition.

http://www.ekmpowershop.com/ekmps/shops/animalaquatics/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=26

The calcium content of the little buggers is hard to beat so they are a must for Chams. They do store in the fridge for ages though I don't know how much nutritional value they lose. Unlike waxworms they don't have to be used as an occaisional treat for Chams but can be used regularly to vary the diet.

They don't seem to be as wriggly as waxies at room temperature, so my veiled often takes a lot longer to realise they are there.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts