Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know exactly what is in these commercial foods for gutloading? and what is the stuff that comes with the crickets and locusts? It looks just like bran flakes. :(

I normally ownly buy enough live food for few days, but I am considering buying bulk. Wanted to know the best and cheapest way of feeding the hoppers and providing water a source. ;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
we used to feed them grass and leafy greens a bit of fruit, and as they are desert dwellers we used to stuff little pots with wet cotton wool for water and kept the temps up! they bred like mad and escaped everywhere!! :lol:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i use sandfire cricket food and veg, they love the food and leave most of the veg, also because its a source of protien they dont eat each other, so they last longer.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Oh, it also says on the tub that sandfire crix food is made using human grade ingredients so it cant be that bad,i havent tried it though. :wink:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
the stuff crickets come on is like you said bran flakes..it is commercially used as horse feed and the crickets do eat it...

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
kiriak said:
Does anyone know exactly what is in these commercial foods for gutloading? and what is the stuff that comes with the crickets and locusts? It looks just like bran flakes. :(

I normally ownly buy enough live food for few days, but I am considering buying bulk. Wanted to know the best and cheapest way of feeding the hoppers and providing water a source. ;)
I can put you in touch with someone, who makes his own bug grub if you want. PM if you are interested:wink:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
hoppers can be fed cabbage or, and heres a wierd one, sphagnum moss..don't feed lettuce as it holds no nutritional value and are mostly water...locusts do not need extra water and should be kept relatively warm..i keep my tanks, with hoppers and adults in, on top of my vivs (over the bulb).

buying in bulk is the way to go if you require more than a couple of tubs a week. you can get 16 tubs of large crickets out of a 500 bag..get about 26 out of a 1000 bag...saves money considering each tub can retail for £2.20.

hoppers are WAY cheaper in bulk!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
for crickets ebay is pretty good if you buy in bulk...the pink skink does 500 x large for 19.00. cosidering that in the shops this would cost £30.00 ain't too bad..more expensive than what i pay but they are reliable and good quality crickets. (i buy from them when i have an emergency shortage!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts