Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I buy my live food i allways find a load of little black beetles in whith the crickets. I was just wondering if it is safe to feed these to my collards. I dont really want to feed them to my lizards if they will cause them harm. Any help will be appreciated.

Liam

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
they are to help with the breeding of crix, dont know what they do, my BD loves them and i know others feed them too.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
those beetles are a pain in the neck! do not let them get into cork bark else the will breed like nutters!
the beetles are not nutritional really and pretty high in chitin...most reps won't even eat them..suppose you could feed one or two but i wouldn't feed a whole load...

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
markhill said:
they are to help with the breeding of crix, dont know what they do, my BD loves them and i know others feed them too.
here u reckon the crickets get off on being watched by these bugs which is why they breed better??? :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
i only ever see one or two every few tubs, they are harmless and to really affect your reptiles im pretty sure thet'd have to eat nothing but and over a period.

The odd one or two shouldnt hurt :)

My beardies eat em without a seconds thought

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
markhill said:
nearly there......

they're demestid beetles and the furry catapillars are the larvae. they're popped in the tubs because they are amazing at breaking down dead waste, so demolish any dead crickets in the tubs

people use them to clean animal skeletons

learnt that a few weeks ago. useful bit of knowledge there :)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
bloodxonxyourxhands said:
markhill said:
nearly there......

they're demestid beetles and the furry catapillars are the larvae. they're popped in the tubs because they are amazing at breaking down dead waste, so demolish any dead crickets in the tubs

people use them to clean animal skeletons

learnt that a few weeks ago. useful bit of knowledge there :)
cool 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts