Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm planning on having a go at building a couple of vivs this summer whilst I have time off uni for my boas and future boas to come later this year... I've never made my own before though - and am starting big, so want to make sure I'm on the right track!

I've got the 2 BCCs currently, and planning on 2 BCIs soon too - so am wanting to build 6ft vivs for them all as there's space in the new reptile room to accomodate if I make them 18" tall (so 4 vivs, 6ft x 2ft deep x 18" tall) - each with a shelf in them too.

I'm looking at getting the wood from B&Q, cut to my measurements - but I don't drive so will have to get them to deliver (if they do that), or ask a friend with a van to help me out.

I'm assuming 18mm ply would be best as I want something pretty sturdy for boas? Or would B&Q's conti suffice?

Would you guys advise a stack of four 6ft vivs, or might that be too big for a stack and cause heat problems, wood bowing etc?
I was considering separate 6ft vivs might be better stacked on top of each other - especially if it ever comes to moving house time as separate vivs would be easier to move and transport.

Any tips appreciated. Just saving for the wood, glass, and other bits and bobs at the moment - so the build is still a few months off!

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
i'd go for conti board and it would be cheaper to ask a friend to put it in there van than have delivered.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
18 mm ply from b+q is pants i bought a sheet to use for the burms viv and scrapped the lot theirs so many hit and miss holes in between the layers it warps like mad when it gets warm mdf was better just gotta make sure its sealled properly and is 18 inches high enough obviously down to preference but by the time youve got the bottom 3 inch lip to stop substrate flying everywhere and a lip at the top for the runner youve only got a thin window to clean and work with the snakes through?

·
Registered
31,649 Posts
Well, I'm planning on having a go at building a couple of vivs this summer whilst I have time off uni for my boas and future boas to come later this year... I've never made my own before though - and am starting big, so want to make sure I'm on the right track!

I've got the 2 BCCs currently, and planning on 2 BCIs soon too - so am wanting to build 6ft vivs for them all as there's space in the new reptile room to accomodate if I make them 18" tall (so 4 vivs, 6ft x 2ft deep x 18" tall) - each with a shelf in them too.

I'm looking at getting the wood from B&Q, cut to my measurements - but I don't drive so will have to get them to deliver (if they do that), or ask a friend with a van to help me out.

I'm assuming 18mm ply would be best as I want something pretty sturdy for boas? Or would B&Q's conti suffice?

Would you guys advise a stack of four 6ft vivs, or might that be too big for a stack and cause heat problems, wood bowing etc?
I was considering separate 6ft vivs might be better stacked on top of each other - especially if it ever comes to moving house time as separate vivs would be easier to move and transport.

Any tips appreciated. Just saving for the wood, glass, and other bits and bobs at the moment - so the build is still a few months off!
Hi

If you stack them you'd need some extra support in the front center, I've built several stacks and vivs using B&Q conti stuff they do the vents too.

If you get stuck PM me I'm in your neck of the woods.

Here are a couple of pics

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
18 mm ply from b+q is pants i bought a sheet to use for the burms viv and scrapped the lot theirs so many hit and miss holes in between the layers it warps like mad when it gets warm mdf was better just gotta make sure its sealled properly and is 18 inches high enough obviously down to preference but by the time youve got the bottom 3 inch lip to stop substrate flying everywhere and a lip at the top for the runner youve only got a thin window to clean and work with the snakes through?
The two 4ft vivs I've currently got are 18" tall and seem to be fine... if I go for 2ft height I can only fit 3 vivs in the stack and would have to squeeze the 4th elsewhere.
The current vivs only have a 3cm top & bottom lip too, 3 inches is a bit excessive - especially if you use newspaper for bedding?

·
Premium Member
16,512 Posts
I always use 18mm ply, a friend of mine uses mdf for stacks and then seals them. Mdf is super strong and bowing wont be an issue.

When i build 6 footers I always put a 4 inch support in the middle at the front - then use 2 pieces of glass either side - this helps with the bowing prob.

I think a 8ft by 4ft sheet of 18mm ply is about 25 - 30 quid!

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
I'd opt for 2ft in height if you can. I used ply for my 6x2x2 with a support in the middle as mentioned in the post above and have no bowing issues whatsoever. MDF is much harder to properly seal.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Hi

If you stack them you'd need some extra support in the front center, I've built several stacks and vivs using B&Q stuff they do the vents too.

Here are a couple of pics

there are great where did u get your glass from,as i'm looking for some and u are local:2thumb:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

If you stack them you'd need some extra support in the front center, I've built several stacks and vivs using B&Q conti stuff they do the vents too.

Cool - those look ace. Is that their standard contiboard? What's the thickness of it?

I haven't been to the local B&Q yet, just been checking out what's on the website first. The nearest to me is the Festival Park store in Hanley so hoping they can cut what I need to size for me.

I thought some supports might be in order, would a strip of wood at the front center be sufficient for that?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
how big are ya boas? their no way id easyly get my burm out a lil window like that plus mines on substrate hes grumpy on hard surfaces :lol2: hence the lip i ended up doing the whole lot out of conti in the end theirs a 5.5x7x2.5 stack and a 6x2x2 for the burm they didnt work out to bad price wise the glass was the killer

·
Registered
31,649 Posts
there are great where did u get your glass from,as i'm looking for some and u are local:2thumb:
I got all the smaller pannels in the top viv from Glovers the larger pannels I got from a glass place in Creswell. I get most of the runners from Philpots they do black, white and tan

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
I got all the smaller pannels in the top viv from Glovers the larger pannels I got from a glass place in Creswell. I get most of the runners from Philpots they do black, white and tan

·
Registered
31,649 Posts
Cool - those look ace. Is that their standard contiboard? What's the thickness of it?

I haven't been to the local B&Q yet, just been checking out what's on the website first. The nearest to me is the Festival Park store in Hanley so hoping they can cut what I need to size for me.

I thought some supports might be in order, would a strip of wood at the front center be sufficient for that?

Try the superstore at mierpark they have 12mm and 18mm

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Contiboard would be my choice. Solid back and a support at the front as mentioned above.

Most local DIY store will do contiboard, cut to size, and deliver - ring around. It'll be cheaper than B+Q.
Look for local glaziers too. They should be able to do toughened glass for you.

There are several people on here who do runners, vents etc.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how big are ya boas? their no way id easyly get my burm out a lil window like that plus mines on substrate hes grumpy on hard surfaces :lol2: hence the lip i ended up doing the whole lot out of conti in the end theirs a 5.5x7x2.5 stack and a 6x2x2 for the burm they didnt work out to bad price wise the glass was the killer

The current largest is the female BCC at 6.5ft, the male is only 4.5ft ish at the moment as still young. The other two vivs would be for future BCIs I want to buy in a few months - might not move them in right away, or just fill up with lots of decor if I do.

This is my adult BCC in a 4ft x 2ft deep x 18" tall viv now:

No top lip on this viv (3cm at the bottom) so looking at doing the new ones same height and depth, just longer at 6ft and with a top 3cm lip too. Will probably put shelves in them all too as that took about 5mins ;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
each to their own i guess i always have a big lip on the bottom of mine habit i guess comes from keeping tegus lol well as long as theirs a fair sized support in the middle itll be pretty damn sweet

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone think there'd be any huge problems with making the vivs all seperate and then stacking them?

After another measuring - I'm thinking three 6ft vivs might be better, and I can fit a fourth viv on the opposite side of the room. I can make the 6ft vivs 2ft tall then... the fourth would have to be 5ft so the window isn't blocked but the extra 2ft height in them all would be nice :)

Just thinking ahead really, although I'm planning on being in the current house at least a few years - it's still rented and not owned, so at some point moving will happen.

Individual 6ft vivs are easier to move than a stack of them - especially if the stack is sealed and can't be taken apart!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Anyone think there'd be any huge problems with making the vivs all seperate and then stacking them?

After another measuring - I'm thinking three 6ft vivs might be better, and I can fit a fourth viv on the opposite side of the room. I can make the 6ft vivs 2ft tall then... the fourth would have to be 5ft so the window isn't blocked but the extra 2ft height in them all would be nice :)

Just thinking ahead really, although I'm planning on being in the current house at least a few years - it's still rented and not owned, so at some point moving will happen.

Individual 6ft vivs are easier to move than a stack of them - especially if the stack is sealed and can't be taken apart!
Hey,

Id say the 2 foot in height would be better..especially if your having a shelf.. also you could have a stack of 2 vivs (speperate but ontop of each other) one part of the room and the other 2 stacked somewhere else?

·
Registered
31,649 Posts

Probabley easier that way to construct too, the weight as well as size would be a burden to move. I put small rollers on one of mine for ease of movement also you can vary the stack hight if you need too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts