Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was having a custom viv made for me but due to unforseen circumstances I am now having to make my own.

I wanted a 4 stack vivarium for my lovely Beardies and went to homebase today to see about buying some Contiboard, well it worked out that one sheet measuring 8ft x 2ft was about £20 and I needed ALOT! So i went away to think about it.

Anyway, Looking at the new Argos catalog and came across Wardrobes! My first reaction was "Hey i can make a viv out of that!" I done some measuring and it's bigger than i was originally going to have the other vivarium.

With the wardrobe doors, shelves etc, I will use them to make 3 large shelves inside and lips in the front to fit the glass rims and glass doors.

So i've order one up, now all i need to find out is the cost of 8 sheets of 4mm toughened glass.

Anyway, here it is incase anyones interested in doing the same thing:

https://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...&langId=-1&searchTerms=6429654&go.x=9&go.y=14

I'll let you know how we get on.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
you might need to buy a solid sheet of wood for the back, most wardrobes come with that crappy card board back, good luck though, get some pics up when its done.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
same unforseen circumstances as mine at a guess:(

I have just pinched hubbys tshirt wardrobe by coincedence, it already has 5 sections so will just need bits of wood along the front and glass (I got a quote for that and the 10 peices will cost £25 so for that plus runners i will have 5 vivs !

Next project will be a double wardrobe conversion for some bigger vivs.

Good luck with yours, i love the wardrobe (tempted to get one for the bedroom !) bet it will look great when you have finished.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, I was thinking of doing a step by step guide with this particular wardrobe, add some photos etc, ya know.

Might be handy for those who want a multi stack but want to do it cheaply.

I'm just worried about the cost of glass! Gonna phone a couple of places tomorrow. But then again i could always leave the glass til my next payday.

·
Registered
375 Posts
hi my grandfathjer built my 4 viv stack from beech effect melamine with 4mm glass i think its 4x2x2.6 so overall each viv is 2.6 wide 2ft deep and 1 ft high and that cost me around 60 pounds if its any help?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Piercer, Well that's cool, As long as it's not too pricey, I'll find out tomorrow and let you all know.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks Guys, I was thinking of doing a step by step guide with this particular wardrobe, add some photos etc, ya know.

Might be handy for those who want a multi stack but want to do it cheaply.

I'm just worried about the cost of glass! Gonna phone a couple of places tomorrow. But then again i could always leave the glass til my next payday.
That sounds like a great ideal Becky I would look forward to seeing that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts