Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.I'm going to build a viv for a corn snake, my idea is that if i build one thats about...

44 inches long, 20 inches high, and 16 inches wide

But seeing as the snakes i'm getting will only be babies, why not make the viv so i can slot a bit of wood in the middle making it two vivs, one for each snake, then when they're big enough, take the plank out, build another viv to put one of the snakes in, and leave the other in the original one. What do you think?

The dimensions any good? or too big, too small?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dimensions are plenty big enough for an average adult corn, but I wouldn't bother trying to split the viv in two - it'd be difficult to do, assuming it's a wooden viv/sliding glass doors, without leaving a gap somewhere where a little one could get stuck.

I'd use a couple of plastic boxes in the viv on a heatmat (heatmat in the middle with a box either side) - if you can find the right shape/size boxes you'd have at least a year to build the second viv.

As they're babies they should be started off in small tubs on kitchen towel for the first few months anyway - easier to monitor them and keep them clean, and less chance of an escape.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Looks spot on - two hides in each, sides covered so they feel secure and something on top to prevent too much heat loss.

Be careful as they grow though with the climbing branches in there - I've got one of those tubs and the lid's a bit dodgy on mine - they might get a bit of extra leverage near the lid and push a corner up :shock:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
So many questions...and your even now splitting your questions into two post you whore you :lol:

* how big are those tanks? got any sizes? - Roughly 12"x8x8, got them in Cold Blooded when I got the snakes. Paul did me one of his deals

* Whats that wire that sticks in the left tank? - Matstat probe to control the temp

* and is that the heat mat under neath? - Yep

* You got three sides covered with a black sheet? - It's thin black foam from a craft shop, makes then feel less exposed

You will notice how I answered that in one post :D

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So... kind of a medium sized plastic faunarium for each?

Sorry for all the questions, getting two snakes on sat. So constantly trying to find out as much as i can, been reading up on corns for about 2-3 weeks now lol. Buuut. obviously people do things completely different!

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crosby said:
mark67123 said:
Be careful as they grow though with the climbing branches in there... they might get a bit of extra leverage near the lid and push a corner up :shock:
Definitly keep an eye on that, they do like sleeping at the top of the branch.
Ha! who just seperated it into two different posts?:p and i posted them seperate, because i posted one, then thought of other stuff!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Mark posted his while I answered your multiple posts hence the two answers follwoing each other.

We only got our first corn about a month ago, I then bought our other two last weekend.

Go for the larger tank, I picked up the medium by mistake and couldn't get the two hides into it and had to go back and swap it for the larger one.

As an idea pop into Cold Blooded and have a look at the sizes to you have a clearer idea.

I'm guessing you already have the heatmat and stat?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I built a 4 foot by 2 foot by 18 inch viv for my royal and while I was building a viv for the corn I put a divider down the middle to house both and they never got stuck anywhere or met each other,If you use assembly blocks( white blocks with 3 screw holes for fixing 2 pieces of wood at right angles)when you want to take it out you just unscrew the blocks and remove the wood,I would post some pics but I dont have any from when mine were in the same viv.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got both yeah, but heatmat is smallish. So thinking of getting another medium faunarium maybe, (or two larger and just keeping the current medium aside). And a big heatmat to share.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you want small hides for hatchlings that you can fit in any tub use upturned plastic plant pot saucers - they only cost a few pence. You can get them down to about 3" diameter or less, all you need to do is cut an entrance in the side.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, instead of just building two big ones. Should i build two mediumish ones for when they're too big for their faunarium, that way they can stay in the ones i built, until they're too big for the medium. then build a bigger one? Lol If so what sizes are perfect for the ones just too big for a medium sized faunarium?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A large faunarium maybe?

http://www.camzoo.co.uk/pd-1959201571.htm?categoryId=10

Or any similar size plastic box with a secure lid.

I'd stick with your original plan of just building two large vivs and use various boxes while they're younger.
If you did make intermediate vivs they'd only get a year or so use out of them before moving up, then you'd be left with two empty vivs that you'd have to fill :D

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
two empty vivs, would be a good idea though wouldn't it? :lol:
Large vivs do look a bit more attractive than really useful boxes, but the really usefulls are cheaper, not sure yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts