Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I'm going to use chipboard and yacht varnish the inside, and paint the outside to make it look better. You could use melamine (contiboard), but I've heard it gives off fumes

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah cool, my dad will be building it for me i just got to buy the materials!
would you be using timber? ive heard it holds heat best
btw its for a boa constrictor

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
ive used 18mm ply either medium quality or marine is good, marine would be better but is twice the price. also depends on humidity but i have sealed 1 of mine with fibreglass resin, left it to air outside for a wk and is fine and easy to wipe clean.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
right...ok...so either chipboard or ply wood?
did you nail it together or use that no more nails glue stuff?
never built a viv before butim thinking its cheaper than buying one

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I've used 12mm MDF and sealed it with yacht varnish for all my viv's.

I used an exterior sealent for the edges to stop moisture getting into the wood and the varnish makes it like gloss so its easy to clean.

I wouldn't use it for a high humidity snake though such as my Blood Python.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would something like that be ok for a boa then mark?
so i got to vanish it with yacht vanish and use a sealant to stop moisture getting in!
which sealant did you use?
and did you buy sheets of the material?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Would something like that be ok for a boa then mark?
so i got to vanish it with yacht vanish and use a sealant to stop moisture getting in!
which sealant did you use?
and did you buy sheets of the material?
I have a 7 foot boa in mine and its fine, no signs of water damage what so ever.

I used ronseal exterior sealent, being exterior moisture wont affect it.

You can buy 8x4 foot sheets from B&Q for about 15 quid and get them to cut it too, one sheet can make a 4x2 foot 18 inch high viv, or one 8x4 sheet and a 4x2 sheet can make a 4x2x2 viv.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 7 foot boa in mine and its fine, no signs of water damage what so ever.

I used ronseal exterior sealent, being exterior moisture wont affect it.

You can buy 8x4 foot sheets from B&Q for about 15 quid and get them to cut it too, one sheet can make a 4x2 foot 18 inch high viv, or one 8x4 sheet and a 4x2 sheet can make a 4x2x2 viv.
awesome thank you!
i shall inform my dad! :)

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Most people use contiboard for vivs up to about 6ft. There are several webpages showing how to go about it. The melamine facing of contiboard is pretty much waterproof so all you need to seal is the joints which can be sealed with aquarium grade sealant.

If you use ply/mdf/wood/chipboard etc you will need to seal the whole thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts