Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you may know i plan on doing my T.Stirmi enclosure as a natural habitat...

This afternoon i went to B&Q and got myself some kingspan, a lovely "peace lily" and some sealant :D

Does anyone know if the sealant ive got is any good?

Its B&Qs own stuff, Brown interior frame sealant...

It says it'll dry in 24-48hours depending on the size of bead which makes me think its safe to use? it doesnt say it has any fungicide or anything so im assuming it hasnt got any :blush:

anyways my plan for the T enclosure is, as follows:

Kingspan cut, drilled and scraped to look like a natural muddy cliff face type of thing with eco earth plastered over it using the sealant as a glue.

Quite a few pieces of normal polystyrene glued together and manipulated into a "tree stump" with roots showing above the ground and pieces of cork bark, eco earth and moss stuck to it,
this will act as the Ts hide, with the peace lily planted around the "tree stump" for it to climb over and look more natural

Anyone got any other ideas? This is all mostly "RandomDan"s idea cheers again buddy :no1:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Id personally only trust sealant made for aquariums but i think silicone sealant should all be more or less the same really.
Sounds like it will be awesome, no worries for the ideas! :p

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i thought that untill i seen Rob C's tutorial on backdrops, he used a mad sealant and he said as long as it says it dries in aproxx 24h itll be fine... so i just assumed itll be ok

Just got the kingspan all marked out and ready for cutting tomorrow (or tonight if i get bored) the peace lily is been re-planted in eco earth from the T enclosure as B&Q said, and i quote "not too sure if the plants have pesticides or not mate, we dont really get told that sort of thing..." so re-planted it to grow out any nasties before planting it into the enclosure next month :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well i thought that untill i seen Rob C's tutorial on backdrops, he used a mad sealant and he said as long as it says it dries in aproxx 24h itll be fine... so i just assumed itll be ok

Just got the kingspan all marked out and ready for cutting tomorrow (or tonight if i get bored) the peace lily is been re-planted in eco earth from the T enclosure as B&Q said, and i quote "not too sure if the plants have pesticides or not mate, we dont really get told that sort of thing..." so re-planted it to grow out any nasties before planting it into the enclosure next month :D
Fair enough, you may want to give it longer though as iv found it sticks for a while after xD

I think that probably means that it does have pesticides lol

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well itll be the first thing getting done along with the tree stump, and then im just planning on leaving them for 1 week to fully cure, and ill leave them in my kitchen (warmest and most humid place in my house)

Yeah, but then again it was a ned (chav) that i was talking to so god knows if he even wanted to be there...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The sealant will be fine, dont worry about it at all.

Might wanna think about giving the tree stump a bit of weight so that your stirmi cant move it about easily or accidently. Looking forward to seeing it :)

Could maybe attempt to include a water bowl in the stump or background maybe

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh now theres an idea Danny... could maybe have one of the tree roots wrap around and become a waterbowl :)

Hmmm now to think about adding weights... Ive got a spare 1.1 kilo dumb bell weight going spare so that could be the core of the stump :D

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Does anyone know if the sealant ive got is any good?

Its B&Qs own stuff, Brown interior frame sealant...

It says it'll dry in 24-48hours depending on the size of bead which makes me think its safe to use? it doesnt say it has any fungicide or anything so im assuming it hasnt got any :blush:
I used it last year to seal up all the gaps in my spider shed................so I bloody hope so!!!!!

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
cant wait to see pics.

on a technical note, the sealant. Even ones containing fungicides etc cure fully within 24-48 hours, so just check that they aren't mentioned on the label as these can cause harm to inverts (basically if it says it will do harm to fish etc dont use it)

HA6 is what ive used for all my glass invert enclosures and Aquarium builds, brilliant stuff and only £2.50 a tube

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Won't the T rip the polystyrene apart? I've heard of loads of folk complainaing of them tearing up exo backgrounds...

Something to consider.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it doest mention if its harmful to fish or anything, it does however say "this product is safe to use in normal conditions" and as it says it can be applied to skirting boards im assuming its safe for the likes of dogs and cats

May i ask where you get your HA6 from?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well its a dense polysteyrene im using for the background but normal poly for the stump but im covering it all in sealant and eco earth so it should be fine, exo backgrounds are just poly with a bit of paint on them...

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Well it doest mention if its harmful to fish or anything, it does however say "this product is safe to use in normal conditions" and as it says it can be applied to skirting boards im assuming its safe for the likes of dogs and cats

May i ask where you get your HA6 from?

i get it through my old workplace now, but a quick search has found it on the bay

HA6

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Well its a dense polysteyrene im using for the background but normal poly for the stump but im covering it all in sealant and eco earth so it should be fine, exo backgrounds are just poly with a bit of paint on them...
You will be surprised how powerful the fangs of a tarantula are, i had a B. albiceps in an Exo breeding box for a few weeks and she scratched some deep marks in the plastic :gasp:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Steve, thought it might have been a specific shop you got it from :)

Danny, thats a bit dis-heartening, but none-the-less Rob Cs looks pretty sturdy and to be honest i dont mind if she attacks it, it will just add to the realism i think.

Background has now been carved out ready for the sealant/eco earth treatment which i will either get on saturday or monday.

Still debating wether HA6 is needed or if what i've got will do the job... argh haha

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But wont i loose some of the details? i dont think she will tear it up, i've done a bit of research and its mainly arboreals that tend to tear it up due to the little claws on their feet? As she is terrestrial and thus has tiny claws i dont think itll be much of a problem for the backdrop, only for the stump which i intend to cover in cork bark anyway.

Came up with another idea, hollow out the middle of the tree stump and dril 1cm holes all over it that go into the hollow centre, then place the tube that will in time become my fogger? That sound ok or a bit overkill?

P.S building has been put on hold for a few days, My little girl has decided its the time for her to go into pre-molt, so nothing will be getting done to her tank untill after she has hardened up :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts