Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am having a rack built in the next few weeks to house my Ball Pythons and Corns and I want to have the rack lighted so that each tub has a nice red glow.

I am looking for ideas of low-heat red lighting that doesnt take too much space.

I know that Boaphile Plastics use red rope light which I thought was pretty novel (see pics at bottom).

Any other ideas?

I am also interested in any other design suggestions. My rack will house two columns of 9 tubs. I plan to have a heatmat under every tub, all on individual Mat Stats to make sure I can individually control the heat in every tub.

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
never thought of lighting racks before,you reckon its for the snakes or just the rack keeper? can see it would be advantageous to be able to check each box without opening it,but then ya gotta rack up with clear acrylic boxes which are way pricey in the UK
regards gaz

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
yer seen the totally clear ones in homebase?? come with tight fitting plastic outer case all ready to stack together totally perfect cept they £15 each!! typical of UK pricing innit :cry:

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Are they like these ones gav?
Havent seen the homebase ones, might have a nosey to try and get some ideas.
I would probably use faunarium (or similar) tubs, theyre probably as cheap as you're gonna get in totally clear plastic.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Our local Morrisons are doing tubs 24x15x8 inches,perfectley clear with lids, 2 for £6, they are great, i bought 4 for kids toys and feeding.
Have you looked at small LED's for lighting, they are quite bright and give off no heat.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Rope lights are essentially strips of LED lighting anyway arent they? A friend of mine uses them for his racks and they give off no heat and are easy to install.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
LED strip[s from Maplin would do the trick vey well.... You can easily conceal them right at the back!

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
PendleHog said:
Are they like these ones gav?
Havent seen the homebase ones, might have a nosey to try and get some ideas.
I would probably use faunarium (or similar) tubs, theyre probably as cheap as you're gonna get in totally clear plastic.

spill the beans.where ya get them???????????????????

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Man Gaz you dont wanna know, they cost a damn fortune! I only ever bought 4 then decided I could NOT afford to keep using em! :lol: £25 a pop. If you still wanna know I will tell you :p

The nice thing is though theyre completely in their own casing, still my snakey babies aint worth that much :lol:
35x35x20cm (above) are £25
Hatchling sized ones :18x33x10 are £8

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
PendleHog said:
Man Gaz you dont wanna know, they cost a damn fortune! I only ever bought 4 then decided I could NOT afford to keep using em! :lol: £25 a pop. If you still wanna know I will tell you :p

The nice thing is though theyre completely in their own casing, still my snakey babies aint worth that much :lol:
35x35x20cm (above) are £25
Hatchling sized ones :18x33x10 are £8
out with it woman!!!the snakes that might go in them are £1000 each so £25 is neither here nor there.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
acrylics eh,i can make my own to be sneaky,my yank mates use very similar acrylic boxes which cost them about $4 a pop,ya just get the feeling we are being ripped off over here in the third world innit?
regards gaz
PS thanks for the link.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I know a few people in the US that use what look to be the self same boxes at well under half the price :roll: Sucks to be English :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

If there was enough people here in the UK would it be worth shipping a few over???

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
yeah but ya need a container load to be worth it,the containers are £1000 for a kickoff,then theres tax etc and maybe no one would buy them,better to make them
gaz

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
rope lights?? xmas snakes all year round?? :shock:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts