Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok not directly a rep question but im finding it impossible to get a 40w reflector bulb with a bayonet fitting,therefore me obviously knowing nothing thought i could pop down to homebase and get a ceiling bulb holder with a screw hole.......nope........does anyone know,and ive trawled the net,rep sites,electrical sites etc where i can get one? theres loads of 60w bayonet bulbs but i need a 40w which only comes in screw top grrrrrrr,its a regular house ceiling bulb fixture,as hes a leo hes no need to bask so this keeps the bulb out the way and provides daytime light and heat along with his heatmat,seen some rep ones but they drop the bulb too low.....an ideas.........any electricians out there:?

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
I just have a normal screw bulb holder cut into the lid of my tank, into which i screw 40w reflector bulbs from sainsbury's.

Jay

·
Registered
139 Posts
sorry just read your post again screwfix do the screw in ones only but if you need the fixings for the screw in types just pop down to your local rep shop or ebay and buy a fixing then convert over to the screw type bulbs

sorry for the confusion hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hi, i was somewhere recently...umn..where was it? umn..grrr and whereever it was only done bayonett fittings.. umn..where was it...? grrrah i am 99.9% sure it was asda... for blue bayonett fitting bulbs that is.

but yeh u can get converters... prolly best to get either that or have screw fit holders as they are gona be much easier to come by than the bayonett in reflector types atleast.

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks dean,will have a look in asda as it looks to me in gonna have to order the adaptor off the net,since none of my shops was intelligent enough to suggest it i doubt they stock it,i shop in asda all the time and never looked at their bulbs but maplin do adaptors for 4 quid but i dont have 1 of them anywhere near me so ill order that after looking for adaptors in town:)

·
Registered
351 Posts
ok not directly a rep question but im finding it impossible to get a 40w reflector bulb with a bayonet fitting,therefore me obviously knowing nothing thought i could pop down to homebase and get a ceiling bulb holder with a screw hole.......nope........does anyone know,and ive trawled the net,rep sites,electrical sites etc where i can get one? theres loads of 60w bayonet bulbs but i need a 40w which only comes in screw top grrrrrrr,its a regular house ceiling bulb fixture,as hes a leo hes no need to bask so this keeps the bulb out the way and provides daytime light and heat along with his heatmat,seen some rep ones but they drop the bulb too low.....an ideas.........any electricians out there:?
Livefoods do a BC to ES Adaptor

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
you can use any bayonet reflecter bulbs for the basking! my local woolworths do them in there hardware section.....WELL WORTH IT:lol2: and there only about £1.25 each for the 60w.

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the heatmat is on a stat so thats intermintant thro out the day and on all night,when i got him he had a bulb on 24/7 i tried the bulb out on the stat but found it was going on and off if theres a slight variation in temp and thought the poor leo would think its gone clubbing,ive wondered what else i could do,thought about setting heat bulb up on a stat and fitting another bulb for light only which i may well do,any suggestions welcome

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
If you have a filament bulb you need a Dimmer Stat not a Pulse Stat which it sounds like you have... A dimmer would restrict the amount of power going into the bulb and therefore not turn it off and on and keep the temp constant.....

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
We had to rush out and buy no less than 12 of those adaptors in a weekend (long story), we got ours in small DIY shops all over the place, we bought two here, three there etc as they generally only had a few in stock, but they were only like £2 each. We couldnt find them in Homebase, B&Q, Wilko, or any of the big stores, the little ones ALL did em though

Hope it helps !!

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks its been a real pain in the arse to be honest,most places out of stock online,the other shops are crap have no idea what im on about or do the es to bc convertor not the other way round,still trying think it will have to be livefoods but i wanted it now,being a typical woman i actually want it yesterday grrrr:lol2:

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
if your after the screw type bulb holders you can get lovely ceramic ones from disco light suppliers failry cheap. They use them in the PAR38 lights.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts