Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all in most of my set ups I use normal house bulbs with reflector on them from morrisons but my Exo terra canopy heat bulb has just popped is they a cheaper version than the Exo terra bulbs?

Also where does everybody buy there halogen bulbs from do they fit the ceramic holders or would I need new holders? Going to use it for my Kimberley monitors new viv I'm building so want to put in 2. Halogen bulbs for him

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I got these Set of 5 Leuci 50W ES E27 Cap Ligthbulbs PAR 30 Light Bulb Halogen Lighting Lamp | eBay
These 50w bulbs give me a steady 145F basking surface temp at a distance of about 12 inches (although I am aware that as Riley gets bigger I may have to increase the wattage so that I can move the basking spot further away)

If your fitting i an ES fitting then just double check that the bulb you buy is too. the main requirement being that the bulb is a flood and not a spot bulb (par 30 / par38)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fizz

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Oops that was supposed to say par 30 / par 38

You're welcome :)
I presume that the fitting you have is a dome type one rather than the standard exo terra canopy ?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my monitor viv yeah

But I also need a Exo canopy bulb cheaper version be good need it ASAP as my cresties bulb popped

·
Super Moderator
9,450 Posts
Fizz, how many bulbs do you use in the viv to get that temp? I am looking to change from the incandescent bulbs due to them not lasting long and the fact that it is now difficult to get 100w ones now they are phasing them out.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I just use one as he is still small. The bulb is only about 12 inches above basking though so I think in his big viv I will probably have to use a 75w to get the same temp further away (unless overlapping two 50w bulbs at a larger distance would give the right temp ? I dont have any experience using more than one basking bulb)

I have been meaning to ask... Do you find you need to use 2 bulbs to cover an adult ackie for basking or does one give a wide enough beam ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts