Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here that owns a burmese, if so what is their tempermeant like, aggressive or passive? just curious.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey mate, Can be very aggressive unless handled often, they make loud hissing noises and can be very intimidating for people that haven't been round big boa's or pythons for a long time. I saw one at my local store last week and loved him, but wouldn't keep him due to the size he'll end up. Beautiful animals though, with big heads lol. Phil

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks phil, yeah they are beautiful and i know tehy should be handled regular, but how would you react if one went into a bad mood, struck and constricted you?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
i have never met a mean burmese.

Some are a little hissy and nippy but never a EVIL one.

Mine is great ill leave him for 2/3 weeks when busy (mum changes water but doesnt handle) and hes still a dream to cuddle

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how big is he?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
we have 2 big 13ft female burms and they are soft as owt show no agression at all other than hissing when theydnt want you to pick them up and have never tried to bite only when food is involved but the thing to remember is that you hold a corn snake it bites you thats nothin you hold a 13ft burm it bites you you are gona be in trouble but personally i think burms are calm compared to sum rat snakes just got to think if it does hiss or show any warning signs dnt handle them it all depends on the snakes they are just like ppl sum are nasty sum rnt it is different in every species of snake

luke

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very true, but say you had a burm that every time you tried to handle it it just showed aggression how would you stop or reduce that aggression?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
for starters if its out the way and you go in its viv tub to feed it then its got in its head that = food or if its just natural aggresion you can let it come out the viv tub on its own get it used to that it all depens y its being aggresive and how big it is

luke

·
Registered
978 Posts
i have burms mine are as soft as kittens but they are very well handled ..
The only one i have had probs with striking out and tagging everyone in sight was an assist fed female i took on previous owner didnt handle her at all by their own addmission ......
Now she strike feeds as is almost kitten soft. I would say 99% kitten 1% nasty..
on occassions i have found them a little hissy in the viv if you disturb them but great whilst out and about

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
i have never met a mean burmese.

Some are a little hissy and nippy but never a EVIL one.

Mine is great ill leave him for 2/3 weeks when busy (mum changes water but doesnt handle) and hes still a dream to cuddle
I have but only 1 albino out of a shedload(for under 18 purposes) of different types of burms I've met.

For the OP they are usually faily placid provided they're well handled and you don't put yourself in a situation where you, the snake and food (or smell of food) are all together. A hungry burm is not to be underestimated!!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
that goes without saying mate...

My point was that i have never came across a totally malicious burmese where i have met malicous boas, retics, royals, corns, rats etc.

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
that goes without saying mate...

My point was that i have never came across a totally malicious burmese where i have met malicous boas, retics, royals, corns, rats etc.
Yeah like I say I've only seen the one. It was v.mean and liked to bite my friend.....a LOT. Not seen any others like it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have but only 1 albino out of a shedload(for under 18 purposes) of different types of burms I've met.

For the OP they are usually faily placid provided they're well handled and you don't put yourself in a situation where you, the snake and food (or smell of food) are all together. A hungry burm is not to be underestimated!!
the only burm that has ever tagged me was that assit fed female i have and the first time she did . she hit my hand so hard and locked her teeth down it seemed to take forever to get her off ..

i am still marked up from that bite and it occassionly flares up and you can still see the teeth marks and its been healed along time now.

i also put that down to the burm mistaking my hand for food it was either feed her or let her suffer.... my choice was to to feed her, since shes a youngster i guess only time will tell if she does seperate hands from rats in her minds eye !..
it has taken a lot of time and effort to get her where she is now ...i'm happy with the results so far but still wary of her

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
the only burm that has ever tagged me was that assit fed female i have and the first time she did . she hit my hand so hard and locked her teeth down it seemed to take forever to get her off ..

i am still marked up from that bite and it occassionly flares up and you can see the teeth marks and its been healed along time now.

i also put that down to the burm mistaking my hand for food it was either feed her or let her suffer.... my choice was to to feed her, since shes a youngster i guess only time will tell if she does seperate hands from rats in her minds eye !..
it has taken a lot of time and effort to get her where she is now ...i'm happy with the results so far but still wary of her
I'm glad you're putting the effort in. Too many people take a bite and then think their snake has "gone aggressive" so get rid.

I doubt they'd ever seperate food smell being present from anything warm blooded in the area TBH. Hopefully she'll calm down more for you.

It's good to be wary of anything that size. Too easy to become complacent with tame burms.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tyvm all for your help :) and stories, but i have 1 more question do you think a common boa would be able to kill a fully grown man?

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
tyvm all for your help :) and stories, but i have 1 more question do you think a common boa would be able to kill a fully grown man?
Technically yes provided it grew to a size big enough. TBH though provided you do your homework and are sensible the risks are manageable. There have been no deaths to constrictors reported in the UK. About 20 in the US over the last TEN YEARS.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
my big burm is far from friendly. she gets very annoyed when you touch her and if i'm not swift in getting her out, it can be a real hard job to remove her from the viv. she also sprays musk at me a lot with incrdible accuracy.
i good hook is absolutely essential. i use mine to hold her head back as i lift her body out.
she has probably struck at me around 5 times since got her earlier this year but never actually got me although she very nearly got me in the face a few months ago.
i would say they are mistakenly labelled as docile as they seem to hate being bothered in the viv, and when their hissing and jumpy there is always a risk of them striking if you ask me.
Just be cautious but i'm sure you would be!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Technically yes provided it grew to a size big enough. TBH though provided you do your homework and are sensible the risks are manageable. There have been no deaths to constrictors reported in the UK. About 20 in the US over the last TEN YEARS.
tyvm :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts