Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all and merry xmas to you all.
Right,i was sat here thinking about this and thought id ask you all for the answer,,,what food would you feed an big(18ft)burmese python and how often?
thanks.
 
G

·
I would feed an 18 footer a large rabbit or hare around twice a month for a female and for a male probably medium to large rabbits once a month
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,244 Posts
Dunno alot about Burm food, a work-mate had a 14foot Afrock. He fed it big f-off giant hares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,474 Posts
I feed my big snakes varying amounts throughout the year but it works out at 1 good sized rabbit per week.

Piglets are very fatty so are good for rapid weight gain and crap puddles (no hair to hold it together).
Chickens are good for a "clean out" as they often go through them quickly and also tend to leave lass than nice piles of turd.

Lambs are too seasonal and expensive so i've never tried them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
62,208 Posts
thats waht we like... large mahoosive turds lol..
corns are bad enough
i used to have a mate who had an 18ft burm, walked into his kitchen one time and saw the worlds largest rabbit thawing on a plate lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmmm,,,so i presume the burm owners have butties for xmas dinner n the snakes get the turkey :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,027 Posts
reticulatus said:
I feed my big snakes varying amounts throughout the year but it works out at 1 good sized rabbit per week.

Piglets are very fatty so are good for rapid weight gain and crap puddles (no hair to hold it together).
Chickens are good for a "clean out" as they often go through them quickly and also tend to leave lass than nice piles of turd.

Lambs are too seasonal and expensive so i've never tried them.
Dan - do you mean each snake has a decent sized rabbit each week or that with all your snakes together it works out a rabbit per week? I thought one per week would be to much?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
i have a 16 footer and feed him 2 to 4 v large rabbits a month depending on what he wants so to speak. i agree whole heartedlt with reticulus that piglets leave nicer aftermath. chickens seem to have a particularly nasty aroma when s**t out other end. piglets make nice treat too he loves them but have to be carefull as he strike feeds for them. rabbits he cuddles first :lol: . good luck and merry selfmass to yall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,536 Posts
I had a neighbour who had a 14 foot retic in his backgarden, and he fed him rabbits.

I believe these animals would eat anything big, even a turkey at xmas time :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,250 Posts
give him turkey its christmas!lol
mines on jumbo rat and rabbit
1 rat once a week or 1 rabbit every 2-3 weeks
waitin on a guy bringin me rabbit his harris hawk lifted i prefer feedin them to the lab ones or ones shot with a rifle!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,474 Posts
welshgaz said:
Dan - do you mean each snake has a decent sized rabbit each week or that with all your snakes together it works out a rabbit per week? I thought one per week would be to much?
Yes, they have roughly one per week. However i get this because i feed 52 rabbits per year. After laying they get 2 or 3 per week and when breeding they don't eat at all. It's usually mid summer when they are on 1 rabbit per week.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,027 Posts
reticulatus said:
welshgaz said:
Dan - do you mean each snake has a decent sized rabbit each week or that with all your snakes together it works out a rabbit per week? I thought one per week would be to much?
Yes, they have roughly one per week. However i get this because i feed 52 rabbits per year. After laying they get 2 or 3 per week and when breeding they don't eat at all. It's usually mid summer when they are on 1 rabbit per week.
Oh well you learn something each day.. really didn't think you feed them that much but I guess if you don't breed the snake you wouldn't need as much food!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,474 Posts
As long as the animals are active their is no problem with keeping the same feeding schedule as you would use with any other snake. Problems come when the snakes aren't active and are given no opportunity to burn off the energy they take on board.
Really it's no different to feeding a big mouse to a corn, it just happens to be on a larger scale.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top