Reptile Forums banner

burmese python

975 views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  darkdan99 
#1 ·
i already have one burm, around the 3 foot mark, would it be safe to put it with one i have been offered, the other is around the 14 foot mark, a friend told me it would be ok, and they are quite 'good' snakes so i was wondering.
if i cannot, what would be the biggest gap in sizes that would render it safe to introduce them?

any tips on milksnake breeding appriciated also.

See less See more
#3 ·
I would be inclined to say no indefinitely. But thats just my personal choice. :lol:

Right now though, if you housed them together you could end up in one of three scenarios:

1 - They live happily together

2 - The big one eats little one

3 - Big one squishes little one

If you do feel the need to house both together, you'll need to wait until they are both similar if not the same size as each other. But you would need a mother of an enclosure for that.

Also, it would depend on the sexes.

But yeah, separately is the way to go in my eyes, having kept them in the past, I wouldn't fancy having 2 16ft burms to reckon with every time it came to feeding and cleaning...:lol:

#4 ·
Most people around here would say keeping snakes together is just a bad idea.... there are a few though that have done it with no problems but don't do it now!

Personally I would say the shear size difference is a certain reason not to though.... maybe when they are both equalish in size in a very large tank but not now.

G
#5 ·
I have 2 burms at the moment one is 7 foot the other is around 3 foot.I would never put them in together at the moment due to the size difference.

Apart from anything else my burms are male and female.

You could keep a couple of burms together indefinately if they were closer in size ie female 14 foot and female 9 foot but i would not keep different sexes together long term.Only for breeding purposes.

In my honest opinion i would keep them seeperately if you have the room.If not then i would say stick to one burm.

#6 ·
thanks for all your help, i will keep them seperate until there of closer sizes to each other (go with my insticts, and clever peoples advive). i have a 6x4 viv, in two levels so i think this will be big enough for both of them, and at the moment, the smaller can stay in a 4x2.

#8 ·
another question. i just trew a rock across my room in temper and it whent straight into the enclousure waiting for my burm (the burms in a temp cos the heating isn't fully functional in the big viv.

the problem is, hombase sold me 2 mm plex, whic the rock whent straight throught stating "any snake that can break that is not from our planet "

thats obviously a load of B.S. so what thicknedd would you reccomend, given the strenght of the fully grown animal, or should i go for glass? the size is 6'x4', and if you have any idea as to price that would be appriciated.

also, any ideas as to what i could use for backing would be appriciated, because it is currently white contiboard, and not looking great!

#10 ·
i would go for 6mm plexi glass

i am a air rifle shooter and we use that stuff at angles as a backstop at even point blank a lead pellet going 800 feet per second doesn't seen to break it, i think you would be safe with that

i know that has nothing to do with snakes and i haven't even got a snake yet but that 6mm (or 5 i can't remember) is pretty tough

#12 ·
nope the max limit is 12 ft/lbs

the speed doesn't matter its the velocity that does. so i can have a light pellet go fast and still be under the limit

my rifle is 11.8ft/lbs that is a .177 ripley that does 790-800fps the pellet i use on this rifle weighs 8.44 grain
other rifles like my mates .22 air arms is again 11.8f/lbs but only does 580fps that pellet weighs 19ish grain

anyway back on topic

G
#13 ·
In all honesty Dan i would go for 6mm laminated(2 sheets of 3mm laminated together) glass for a burm rather than the plexi.Just for the reason that plexi does and will scratch easily and also that on large sheets it can warp or just have to much give for a burm if pushed on.

G
#15 ·
Havnt got a clue mate but your best bet is to ring around.6mm would be sufficient but if you have a tendency to throw things around i would go laminated.At least if you do hit it then it should only crack rather than break :D

#16 ·
i was very stressed last night, a bad day. one of my geckos died after said rock fell on it, and brother left viv open, so plated lizards were (one still is) awol. looked aroung on google, but couldnt find any suppliers go for the yellow pages, although rossthedon is going to be making a new viv for the burm (cos the one i made sux) so if the lil1 stays in his tank, for now and i have, decided not to get another (thanks for the advice:) ) so i can wait for him to do it all, save messing around.

#17 ·
while your here, greenphase, what is your opinion on people required to handle large snakes. does a 20ft really take a min of four, cos i've had a 15' around my neak, and although there big and heavy if there behaved then theres not much to worry about, or does that mean have 4 peopel on hand incase it turns nasty.

G
#18 ·
My thoughts on large snakes is that although you can handle a fifteen footer on your own you should always have a minimum of 2 people around just in case anything happens.3 would be better but 2 is th absolute minimum in my view.I used to own a 12 and 14 footer and although i could hold both together when i had to i would always have people around in case of an emergency.

When i say i held them both together what i mean is they were both boxed up in seperate boxes and i could carry both together not hold them free roaming together.That is too much of a risk.

I know what you mean about being really stressed with things as well mate and it does happen.I have busted the glass on many vivs over the years.Only once with a snake in there and that was due to warped vivs and trying to get the glass out to remove the snake.I have never thrown anything at the vivs but broke a few when i had stacks and was cleaning out.It is veryt easy to kick the bottem viv and seeing as i wear steels for work it is usually when im wearing them :cry:

#19 ·
dont normally chuck things anyway, and was aiming for the door(to my room) but missed, and wouldnt even think about throwing it if there were ne snakes around.

thanks for the advice, will make sure theres people in the house when holding in a year or two. would you reccomend an alar for the viv, i am going to have fixed glass, and a yale type lock on the door, but it will be only 2-3 form my bed, and after reading some stories i dont know whever it would be worth it or not.

G
#20 ·
All i can say mate is to make sure the viv is secure that way you should not have any problems.I wouldnt alarm my vivs but then again i have a reptile room so if they do manage to get out they cant go too far.None of my vivs have locks they just have wooden pegs holding them closed

#21 ·
mine currently do not have locks, but my cat sleeps in my room, and the door is usually open, so i will have a lock on the burms for security. aldo my toddler cousins are frequent visiters, and i would never forgive myself if they got hurt-or worse- by the snake, and with another cousin on the way, they will grow together, and be snake snack sized! as for the other vivs i might invest in locks to keep people away from my guys, --not the other way around

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.