Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in getting a burrowing lizard.
Ive read that the sand lizard thats native to england and the Shield tailed Agama are burrowers. Does anybody on here have any of the above or any other kind of burrowing lizard?

Ive read a little on the agama but there really isnt much info on the sand lizard.

also if any1 does have one what substrate do you use as sand would be too loose for burrowing, could you use a combo of soil and sand??

cheers Rob

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hey,
Sand Lizards are a protected species in the UK bcause they are pretty rare so im not sure if it would be possible to have one of those im afraid.
Slow worms and Shield-tailed Agama may be easier to find and burrow quite a bit I believe : victory:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Most of the uromastyx will also burrow their own caves if the have the oportunity to do this. But than they need a substart which it high and solid enough that they can burrow without the risk that it collapsed. Leopard Lizards will also burrow complete cave systems.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What about a Sandfish skink? They're known to literally "swim" through sand. I guess that's not really burrowing though...I believe Uromastyx dig actual burrows?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Desert iguanas will tend to burrow if given sturdy rocks/wood etc.

Haiitian curlytail lizards will bury themselves also, pretty much wherever they can!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Sand Lizards are not burrows and you wouldn't get one in this country, except those in Europe and anyway Lacertids are best kept outdoors, they keep their colour better. I would suggest an easy to keep Skink like a Berber would be ideal. They love to burrow in sand.

·
Registered
927 Posts
My pair of steno's bustle about in the sand, dig about, flick sand in each others faces (accidently of course! Well I hope anyway!) but I don't know if that would be burrowing as such? x

·
Registered
359 Posts
holoactylus africanus - African Clawed Gecko- but you'd hardly ever see them unless you stayed up all night

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Varanus Acanthurus [ackie monitor] They are the best reptile ive ever owned. So interesting and so intelligent, always out being active, hunting, fighting and basking. I, like many others, keep them in a trio, they exhibit great behaviours while they are together.

Varanus acanthurus make their own burrows if given deep enough substrate. Hes some photos...

The first one you can see a little tail in a burrow :)

Here you can see the burrow in it surrounding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts