Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so i have had my spiderling M.Balfouri's for almost 2 weeks. During the first week, all three had burrowed but were still out and about. I'm guessing that this was because they needed time to settle.

Now coming upto second week and clearly they have settled in by staying in the burrows (fair enough as i took this into consideration when i bought them).

Now my dilemma comes to feeding. They have all eaten a couple of days ago but i'm not sure how i can start to feed them if they are in the burrows. I don't want to drop crickets into the burrows as it's a risk of welcoming mites or mould, and i don't want to ruin the amazing web layout and burrows.

So what do you suggest i do?

Leave it another day or so? or wait until they are out and about?

Many thanks. :2thumb:

Edit: Also how often do 2-3cm slings moult please?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
lol just feed em they generally dont want boluses down there burrows so will drag em out and leave at the entrance to the burrow.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They'l come out to feed when it gets dark, just throw in the food and it'l be gone in the morning.
Ok, thanks! :no1:

lol just feed em they generally dont want boluses down there burrows so will drag em out and leave at the entrance to the burrow.
Seems about right for them, a drop of water in the burrow and it gets attacked. :lol2:

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Are you feeding them live food? if so, whats the problem?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you feeding them live food? if so, whats the problem?
Dead as i don't want to run the risk of the tarantula moulting in the burrow and then getting eaten alive. God i sound stupid.

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
Many species of tarantula will show signs of pre-moult: reduction in appetite, aggressive behaviour or black patch on the abdomen. Feeding is recommended infrequently, perhaps once or twice a week but there's no problem with reducing this as tarantula are adept at going without food for long periods, as long as they have a source of clean water.
Tarantula over 1 cm should be fed live food, and you should remove any food uneaten after 24 hours. You could feasibly reduce this to a few hours as in the confines of a small environment the active crickets are likely to attract the T fairly quickly.
Live food will live within a Ts enclosure for days so unless I know a moult is upcoming/due I leave the food in there for a few days - or until the next feeding day arrives.
With many burrowing species they'll web their hides/burrows prior to a moult which often is a good indicator and can provide some protection from prey that look to become predator :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts