Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought some Butterworms, Nutri Grubs and Bee pollen for my leo's. Just wondering what the best feeding regime for these 'extra's' should be?

Atm, I feed them locusts daily and give them the occasional... yes.. occasional waxworm... or moth if they turn... thats fun to watch ;) and mealworms when i can be bothered to buy them. I hate seeing them turn into beetles, it turns my stomach.

Should i dust everything with the bee pollen now? The idea behind buying these was their nutritional value for my breeding females, Give them a little boost through the season :)

Im going to have fun with the Butterworms as last year it was only the male who'd eat em! Lol

Thanks Guys

Darren ... Phoenix, Jasper and Sambuka :2thumb:

·
Registered
331 Posts
where did u get the worms frm? N the bee pollen? If u dnt mind me askin

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A site called, Butterworms.co.uk First time i've ordered this kinda stuff online but it was all sent via royal mail?? Dunno if this is normal but i wasn't very happy with the packaging... lol

·
Registered
331 Posts
been thinkin abt orderin some nutri grubs frm them, how long did delievery take? Was everything still alive? Lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ordered On Monday and they came on thursday... So not too bad considering it was sent via royal mail. Everything was alive.. I even counted the nutri grubs cos it only looked like there was about 40 in there but after counting 159 i got bored lol... Not bad for a 150 grub pack :D...

Next time im ordering med or large for my gecko's though.. They truly are minute!! It should say XXS lol

Can anybody help me with the Original Questions???

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i Bought some butterworms and nutri grubs and again i wasnt impressed with packaging!!!!!!!!
I just feed the butters and nutri without dusting, but my leos will eat the butterworms, but these should be occasional, as for nutri grubs there are welllllllllllllllll small i bought mediums and there tiny, but my leo's wont touch them, and i asked the question before and other ppl said that there leo's wont touch them

I dont no about bee pollen never heard of it before, what is it?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not really sure tbh lol, I bought it cos they said on the site that its amazing and really good for lizards so i thought what the heck give it a go...

Havent tried feeding them the worms yet but i dunno how im gonna cope with the bloomin nutri grubs... Ive never seen a grub so small in all my life... The maggots you get in wheelie bins are bigger!!!! Lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's been a lot of vews but not many replies, does nobody know about these types of food? Ive tried googling loads and cant find anything other than sites that sell them! :(

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've had my cresties 3 weeks and have been giving them 2 butterworms each every friday so far.. My larger crestie has put on 2.5g and the smaller one has put on 1.5g so far.

They love them!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Butterworms occasionally feed and nutri grubs CAN be fed as staple but the size of them you will have to feed alot, its up to you how you feed them.
As for the bee pollen let me know how you get on with it,

How much of it do you get?

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's been a lot of vews but not many replies, does nobody know about these types of food? Ive tried googling loads and cant find anything other than sites that sell them! :(
I took the plunge, tried and now buy and feed Phoenix Worms (and now Nutri-Grubs) from Butterworms.co.uk as part of my BD's staple diet and he is thriving. Yes, even the large size aren't particularly big but they are high in calcium and have the right calcium to phosphorus ratio, are low in fat and do wiggle (once allowed to warm up). The only issue is feeding these as a staple isn't cheap!

My BD eats about 25 x Pworms or nutri grubs at a sitting (he's 9 months old). He used to eat a lot more when younger but now he tends to stop eating after about 30 so I aim for 25 at a go alongside his other food.

I also feed him 3-5 butter worms at a go a couple of times a week on top as well (high in calcium but fat ratio is higher that P worms) and once a week he gets a couple of wax worms. He also gets offered silk worms and some other kind of fly larvae as well for variety.

My BD's growth rate is very good and he has a good appetite (I also use Megaray MVB bulbs too though and think this also helps!). His tail base is thick and healthy and he's an active brute so I don't have issues with him getting fat.

I'd recommend them.

I would also recommend feeding the dark coloured or pupating P Worms to your rep first as these are higher in calcium. Even the ones that don't wiggle soon get consumed once your rep is in the mood.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here you go guys... Worm soup... The leo's loved them and gobbled all of them up :D Shame about the small size of the grubs though...

·
Registered
577 Posts
For your bee pollen you can go 2 to 3 times a week for your in season beardies. Once or twice a week will work for the males and the rest of the year. Great stuff. Increases their willingness to try new foods as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I put a large butterworm on a leaf near my bigger crestie last night and for some reason she couldn't see it even though she knew it was around. I decided to move it to a different leaf and as I was trying to get the worm to stick on the leaf a pair of jaws flew out of the vegetation and grabbed my finger! The shock of that made me drop the worm and immediately as it hit the deck my younger crestie dive-bombed it from out of nowhere!

Fun times!

·
Registered
307 Posts
i ordered off them on thursday got my nutri grubs friday,nothing wrong with the packaging as far as i was concerned.they were all alive and my CWD loved them,gonna be getting some more but the large variety this time coz the medium ones look the same size as maggots you use for fishing,and there just not big enough but id deffo recommend www.butterworms.co.uk - plus very helpfull staff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts