Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idea of this thread is not to start a slanging match as it really boring and a major turn off basically what i want to know is......
if you were buying from a private seller/shop how long would you wait for delivery and also if you were selling how soon would you send out for delivery

obviously with shops you expect it to take a bit longer due to order processing etc but how long would you allow for private sellers given the risks involved etc

so its shops vs private sellers
i can say i have had more positive experience with shops and had a few incidents with private sellers which were resolved amicably

·
Registered
942 Posts
if im selling i would post the following day payment cleared, i usually expect private stuff within 2-3 days of them recieving money as i always go for RMSD postage, with shops i tend to give 3-4 days from them to process so around a week to get it on my doorstep :)

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Unless I'm going to be too busy on a given day to get to the post office, or the buyer wants delivery on a particular day, I will usually post out the day after receiving payment.
If I know I've got a few parcels to post I will try and co-ordinate postage dates with the buyers so that I don't have to keep going up and down to the Post Office.

It seems only fair to send the buyer their spiders within a reasonable time if I have taken their money.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for replying guys. i find it a very interesting area within the hobby. i have had a few private sellers when i have had it next day after payment and others were i have been waiting well over a month with excuse after excuse, maybe im to nice and will happily wait. when i got tired of waiting i demanded my money back the guy came through with my order and i got freebies as a good will gesture and i have also as a buyer had to let people down as i have miscalculated a bill and the seller has held them until i have the cash so i find it more positive then negative and of course there are always scammers but thats about a hundred other threads written a hundred times before :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I always try to get parcels sent off asap .... however I do also have a busy lifestyle too (work, kids, family etc) others on here may have a lot of time on their hands to do post office runs etc, but I don't always have the time despite my best efforts, saying this I'd never leave anyway hanging on for weeks, the longest is a weeks wait and at the most if that.

If I can't deliver straight away, I will always make the buyer aware of this and i'll give them a firm date that I will post on .... I do always keep my word though, because it really rattles my cage if i'm the one buying and somebody messes me about!

Other good forms of etiquette for buying and selling are responding to PM's promptly and politely and also leaving feedback is a nice touch (always treat people how you would like to be treated yourself) just as your mum taught you and you won't go far wrong!!, it's always good form to do this and again it gets right up my nose when people ignore PMs or can't be arsed to leave a few words on your 'I' trader.
-P

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I always try to get parcels sent off asap .... however I do also have a busy lifestyle too (work, kids, family etc) others on here may have a lot of time on their hands to do post office runs etc, but I don't always have the time despite my best efforts, saying this I'd never leave anyway hanging on for weeks, the longest is a weeks wait and at the most if that.

If I can't deliver straight away, I will always make the buyer aware of this and i'll give them a firm date that I will post on .... I do always keep my word though, because it really rattles my cage if i'm the one buying and somebody messes me about!

Other good forms of etiquette for buying and selling are responding to PM's promptly and politely and also leaving feedback is a nice touch (always treat people how you would like to be treated yourself) just as your mum taught you and you won't go far wrong!!, it's always good form to do this and again it gets right up my nose when people ignore PMs or can't be arsed to leave a few words on your 'I' trader.
-P
SAME
Some one asked me to post out at the end of the week and I forgot:blush:
Arranged another day (the next) for the parcel to be sent out.
Included some thing extra to say sorry.
Thing that gets on my nerves is poor com's and not leaving feedback.

Reactions: spinnin_tom

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
With shops I'd expect faster send off as they're doing it as part of their job.

For private sellers, I'd normally arrange when it's sent between the both of you so you know when to expect it. Not everyone can get to the post office every day.

Reactions: spinnin_tom

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
As long as you know when they are coming is the main thing i think ,i wouldn`t like to receive a random parcel weeks after i`d ordered.
I think by the end of the week after the week of order is plenty of time anything longer and perhaps sellers need to look at themselves .

·
Registered
661 Posts
A good idea is to ask when they'll post before parting with any cash, that way if they say a week or 2 then you still have the opportunity to say no thank you I'll look elsewhere, what I find annoying is when they say "I'll post tommorow,I promise" you then have to make arrangements to be home, only to be left waiting and nothing arrives, then on contacting them they have a feeble excuse "I never got round to it" and promise the next day, it means people having to take 2 days off or arranging for someone to be there, all in all if you lose 2 mornings pay then the seller deserves to have said spider stuffed down their pants :lol2: and give you a refund :whistling2:
Communication, communication, communication is the key, even if a seller chooses to mess you around they can at least let you know, time waiting is money for many and if you're not earning that cash then you can't buy more T's : victory:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you guys have brought up some great points i think in this situation communication is key and feedback because it lets others know who to trust and who to avoid ,also andrex of course im expecting some t's to arrive anyday now (just hope its not tomorrow) and i will be scrutinising the quality of the loo roll the spiders are just a bonus lol

·
Registered
661 Posts
you guys have brought up some great points i think in this situation communication is key and feedback because it lets others know who to trust and who to avoid ,also andrex of course im expecting some t's to arrive anyday now (just hope its not tomorrow) and i will be scrutinising the quality of the loo roll the spiders are just a bonus lol

A note of warning to those wanting nice loo roll in their packaging, if it's because YOU want a taste of luxury don't use it when having bought a goliath, I couldn't sit down for a week :lol2:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so now we have a nice discussion going what do you do when your spiders arrive and the packaging is less than adequate as my order has just turned up and im fuming the box was small contained a little bit of styrofoam and 2 care sheets for
padding and the t's were in film pots with substrate no tissue nothing do i tear him a new one of suggest that he improves his packaging

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Unless stated that it will take a while to send out before I buy, I expect it to be sent out within a week.

So long as they don't lie about when they are sending out and not tell me so that I end up missing the delivery, that annoys me... :bash:

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
ok so now we have a nice discussion going what do you do when your spiders arrive and the packaging is less than adequate as my order has just turned up and im fuming the box was small contained a little bit of styrofoam and 2 care sheets for
padding and the t's were in film pots with substrate no tissue nothing do i tear him a new one of suggest that he improves his packaging
could just be he didn't realise the importance of secure packing, if the spiders are OK I would just point him to the sticky on here so he knows for next time.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Thats an interesting subject all of its own ,i`ve had slings sent to me in film pots inside a padded envelope and they were fine . What size box did they come in ?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It is all about comunication i will always try and send next day or as soon as possible,sometimes my work gets in the way but ill always email with the revised delivery day.
as for packaging as lisa said if the spiders are ok? i would just enlighten them on the best way to post. Everyone has to do it for the first time? but if they have been sending spiders for a while its not hard to get this rite:no1:
steve.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it was a genuine mistake which to be honest i felt it was he had always got his t's in person etc and was first time sending out so to be honest im pretty impressed as it could of been a whole lot worse i think as it keeps being stated communication is key its much better to talk it through then go in guns blazing i have seen so many threads turn nasty cos of the flame now think later tactics we all have to start somewhere im just glad the guy posted them to me rather than someone new to the hobby

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
When I sell a spider I'll always ask the buyer when is convenient for them to receive the parcel and aim to post on the day before. If I can't get to the PO on that date then I'll let them know as far in advance as possible so we can reschedule.

With regards to packaging quality, I personally tend to post slings in film pots with some kitchen towel to pad it out. Not so much that the sling is squashed tightly inside, but just enough to allow it to stretch it's legs a bit if it wishes. Have had some posted out to me with amazing packaging, some not so great.

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
I only post on Monday or Tuesday, as this is the only option for getting to the PO. That provides the opportunity of plenty of time to arrive. I never post on a Friday and would shy away from posting on Thursday, even as RMSD as I don't want a delay in postage to result in a weekend at the PO.
I've sent Ts a week late before, due to other commitments or because Ive not been able to physically get the T packaged (sometimes packing MM pokies isnt as easy as I want it to be, sometimes its down to moults). When this has been an issue Ive always informed the buyer and everyone, bar one twad on T-store has been fine with this.
To me the priority shouldnt be down to getting the orders out next day, but to get the orders out with the interests of the Ts paramount. So, a delay can sometimes happen, but I also offer a full refund if the buyer prefers. As far as receiving parcels I don't care what the delay is, so adding another week is fine, again its down to convenience and important to maintain the communication.
Good packing is easy, bad packing is inexcusable. Ive received a few Ts where the T has been packed with a little tissue but during the transport it has wrigged free. I prefer to pack them so they have little movement, they don't need areas to move around, they need good support because the parcels WILL be thrown around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts