Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have agreed my 11 year old son can have a Beardie for Christmas ! Well actually just after as we are away until the 30th.

I have a friend who has a Beardie who has given me some advise but can anyone give me any advise what I should look for in buying a baby dragon, any special tips in setting up a viv, anything I should know before I commit....

Help !:help:

·
Registered
64 Posts
yeah tell your son they are non left at the pet shop and to get a gold fish!!!! lol i have a few friends who have them but they are pritty easy to be looked after if they are set up right,

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
if its a baby then keep it on tissue,
viv you need uv light, basking light, logs etc etc

how big is your viv?
do you no the right temps?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don t have the Viv yet - the local reptile shop I spoke to said I need 48" so I was going to go for that.... No I don t know temps. I know I need Uv and heat lamps

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
yeah 4x2x2 is best, basking area around 110 and 85 at the cool end, you might want to get a dimming thermostat as well for your basking bulb

are you buying your stuff from the pet shop?

try looking in the classifieds section on here, equiptment section for your lights, viv, and lizard section for your beardie, save you a lot of money!!!!

trust me

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great I will have a look - I was only going to the shop as I needed some help on what to get but with the advice I am now getting I will have a look at trying to do it myself - thanks

One question do the crickets they eat make a lot of noise at night - when I have been abroad the noise can be deafening not sure I could cope with the noise of living in a jungle permanantly

·
Registered
64 Posts
lol nah mine r cool i dont hear them at all i hear george butting the tank more than them lol

·
2,141 Posts
do you have msn? i'd be more then happy to help you out :)

PM me if your interested ;)

and if you getting a baby BD you might wont to partition the viv down to 24inch as they can get over whelmed in to bigger encloser which leads to over stressed and ill Baby BD

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
there is a place near me called water life

Exotic Plant and Pet Centre

they have a quite a few and they are near heathrow but i use them all the time

·
Registered
135 Posts
The best UVB light to get is a Reptisun 10.0. If you can't get one of these, get a Reptiglo 8.0. The Reptiglo 10.0 hasn't done too well in recent tests as it puts out a dangerous amount of UVB in a short time. Avoid compact bulbs at all costs. Stick to a non-particulate substrate like ceramic tiles or lino. They are easy to clean and look good. You can use normal household bulbs for heating instead of the more spendy reptile bulbs. A digital thermometer with probes is important to monitor and maintain correct temps. You can get them for less than £10 or you can use a temp gun, which is more expensive. The fully grown crickets are VERY noisy. I once bought a batch and one escaped and even after all the others were gone, I kept hearing this one cricket chirping and I couldn't find it anywhere. I no loinger use crickets so it isn't a problem for me anymore :2thumb:. Very few beardies will drink from a water bowl. Mine doesn't and never has so I don't keep a water bowl in his viv. I spray his veggies and his locusts and supers are well gutloaded and he also gets baths every other day to keep him hydrated. Another thing with a water bowl is that it will raise humidity in the tank, which can cause respiratory problems.

Good luck with your new beardie :welcome:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Michael was 11 when he persuaded us to get his a pair of beardies for his birthday. He (with a little help from me) set up his website from the day I said yes, through getting the equipment to today when we have 16 (poss more by now!) baby beardies of our own!

The site may give you and your son some ideas! its My Bearded Dragons Home Page

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks but Heathrow is a bit of a drive for me - there are a couple of reptile shops/centres near here (found them in the yellow pages !) but they have been quite helpful. But it is also nice to get info from people who actually keep beardies themselves - as the shops obviously are`trying to sell things not just give advice

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The best UVB light to get is a Reptisun 10.0. If you can't get one of these, get a Reptiglo 8.0. The Reptiglo 10.0 hasn't done too well in recent tests as it puts out a dangerous amount of UVB in a short time. Avoid compact bulbs at all costs. Stick to a non-particulate substrate like ceramic tiles or lino. They are easy to clean and look good. You can use normal household bulbs for heating instead of the more spendy reptile bulbs. A digital thermometer with probes is important to monitor and maintain correct temps. You can get them for less than £10 or you can use a temp gun, which is more expensive. The fully grown crickets are VERY noisy. I once bought a batch and one escaped and even after all the others were gone, I kept hearing this one cricket chirping and I couldn't find it anywhere. I no loinger use crickets so it isn't a problem for me anymore :2thumb:. Very few beardies will drink from a water bowl. Mine doesn't and never has so I don't keep a water bowl in his viv. I spray his veggies and his locusts and supers are well gutloaded and he also gets baths every other day to keep him hydrated. Another thing with a water bowl is that it will raise humidity in the tank, which can cause respiratory problems.

Good luck with your new beardie :welcome:
Thanks for all that - particularly the crickets ! So I will try and stick to locusts then:2thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts