Votes: 21 58.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
well i wouldn`t use it personaly but know people who have used it for years with their lizards and have never had any probems.....the theory is that being calcium sand it can encourage lizrads to eat it, but in theory if your dusting the foods etc with calcium and vitamins your lizards shouldn`t be looking for extra vits etc. but i wouldn`t want to test the theory personaly. i assume this was supposed to be in the lizard section...

·
Registered
345 Posts
the stuffs a big waste of money

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
never
used it for my BD when she was a baby before I new better, she ate it and became impacted, took loads of warm baths and masages to get her to clear herself out.
Lucky she's still alive.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Calcium Carbonate

.....is an antacid. Ever heard of Tums? Do you wish to neutralize stomach acids? Not for digestion you don't.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We was recommended by a pet shop to use this as it is calcium and would if anything do them good if swallowed, but decided not to use it anymore as we kept finding grains stuck inbetween her belly scales and even in her nostrils (she is such a good snake she let my boyfriend blow it out of her nostril). I have since read on here how bad it is, so I am pleased I had decided not to use it again.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
brave, very brave!:crazy:
Hi all,

Why wozza, I know what is said about calci sand, It's the same argument with snakes I keep two together and nothing has happend, someone else will say different.
I think it is up to each individual to make up there own mind after reading up on information.

I kept a cali -king for nine years on playsand with no ill effects and last two years on reptibark, occording to form it is a no no this is one example.

There is always more than one route to somewhere.

slither61 :snake::snake::snake::snake:

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
the problem with calci-sand is that unlike playsand, it clumps together when it gets damp, so if it gets swallowed it can't pass through and will cause gut impaction. Also contrary to what the pet shop guy tells people, calci-sand does not disolve. There was a scientific study into calcisand where they tried to disolve it over 4 days in stuff ranging from water all the way up to hydrochloric acid - nothing was able to, so theres not much chance for a little (insert herp of choice here) gut acid.
It was originally marketed for birds with the same 'it disolves because its calcium so its good' tag lines, but the avian world got wise to it and stopped buying it, therefore they had to target someone else - Reptile keepers.

Before anyone jumps on me, this isn't having a pop at anyone who uses calci-sand, just merely telling it like it is.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
NEVER EVER!!! for me. why risk it when theres alot more safer options available??
I use newspaper for my snakes (dont look nice but safe!) and slate floor tiles for my leopard geckos , no risk of impaction...plus its looks nice :)

The trouble with using calci sand with leopards geckos is that leos have very small intestines and will lick everything.. usally the sand there on so even if you dont notice them picking up any sand when pouncing on a cricket or whatever they will always be ingesting it anyway.

plus with leos they dont live in open sandy deserts anyway , they come from the rocky outcrops on the outskirts of deserts which is hard rocky ground not loose sand...

·
Banned
6,748 Posts
Has anyone else noticed this may be in the wrong section :S

NEVER will use calci sand sorry there are far to many people that have had problems with it in the past and the present for us to even consider it
Maybe just maybe if they took the "calci sand" out of the sand then we would lol
snakes are on all sorts here wood chips newspaper kitchen roll blah blah would never use sand unless its a species that needs it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts