Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
i've looked at a few websites and half of them say "leave a small bowl of calcium in your leo's tank" and the other half doesn't.
who is right ?
and also when i got the leo i asked for all the vitamin stuff and calcium and the man gave me nutrobal and i checked if that was calcium aswell and he said to just dust its food before feed, without a bowl of calcium.
is that right ?

anyways any help will be much apreaciated.

TJ.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey TJ, we keep a milk bottle carton lid (u know, the 2 or 4 pint ones) with calcium powder in it in the viv at all times, next to the water bowl. We purchased our Leo's from a very reputable breeder who has more than 40 Leos himself and that's what he suggested, so we do it!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
tj12370 said:
ok do u dust their food with nutrobal cause thats why the man i got my leo from said i never needed to put calcium with it.

thanks anyways :D

ok nutrobol is not a pure calcium, it is a vit powder, you should be dusting with a vit powder a couple times a week and a pure calcium a couple times a week (not on same days)...you can also put some of the pure calcium in a little dish in the viv, mine does not touch it very often put occasionally can be seen lapping at it which can only be a good thing... :)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I use nutrabal for my bd, do i also need to use a seperate calcium powder?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
markhill said:
I use nutrabal for my bd, do i also need to use a seperate calcium powder?
As tombraider just said, i can add though for a young beardie you can use the calcium 5 days a week, nutroball twice.
Also cuttlefish is fine for the calcium for a beardie and is the cheapest way to buy it.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Your supplier was half right, and totally wrong !

Nutrobal is a vitamin powder, so the leo will need this to supplement the diet as feeder insects are quite low on these.

However, you leo will also need a supply of calcium. This is best acheived by using a pure calcium powder (no need to spend a load on this, as mentioned, cuttlefish is great, my sister site, tarantulabarn.com sells 500g calcium powder at £1.80 if memory serves me right)

Best to , as nicky said, dust twice a week with nutrobal and twice with just calcium powder. Leos will hunt out extra supplies of calcium if they need it, so I always advise a sall pot of calcium powder be put in the viv. Often it will get overturned, or walked all over the place, but I have seen many geckos licking at it.

Put it this way, they wont come to any harm having it freely available.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
thanks for info,I'll be nicking the budgies cuttle fish tomorrow,do i just grate it into a powder and dust crix as i do with nutrabal?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts