Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you give leos too much calcium for instance i put wuite a bit on my crickets so that they are dusted well but can they get too much and become ill???

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i dont really think you can that i know of.i dust my food with calcium from ground up cuttle fish and i also leave a small dish of it in the viv at all times.that way if you are under feeding calcium they have it with them.not sure on the over feeding of calcium though.i know you can with vitamins. :roll:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
it can happen.
But the amounts ppl use whould be fine, however as leos will take calcium from a dish when needed maybe best to under do it a bit on the food side of things.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
you can give them to much calcium which can lead to calcification of the internal organs but this is usually over a long period of excessive supplementation...happens over the course of months..
what you are looking for is a discharge from the nostrils...looks like white powder. this is the first sign you are giving too much calcium and minerals....

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
BELIAL wrote
you can give them to much calcium which can lead to calcification of the internal organs but this is usually over a long period of excessive supplementation...happens over the course of months..
what you are looking for is a discharge from the nostrils...looks like white powder. this is the first sign you are giving too much calcium and minerals....
Thought that was vitamins and too much D3?or am i mixed up?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
seen warnings not to dust rodents for monitors and its apparently not good for them to do it but i never read why u shouldnt do it.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
bit of both!!!

over supplementation of calcium leads to the organs hardening and literally turning to stone.
over supplementation of minerals and vitamins can cause failure of the internal organs..(yes this is where the discharge comes from but most supplements contain a level of calcium which can have the same effect)

neither is a good thing!

but like i said it takes a while and with leos is actually very rare... :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have read a number of threads, on a number of forums, that you CANT overdose on calcium.
It was best explained like this by Daygex....

Calcium carbonate (chalk, cuttle etc) is not particularly soluble in water. If you are feeding it by dusting livefood and by offering it in a bowl, there's probably no chance of OD'ing it. Regular feeding with liquid calcium (fully soluble calcium salts) does carry a risk, which is why it should only be used as a short term treatment for calcium deficiency. Somewhat strangely, it actually causes calcium deficiency if used long term. The Ca:p ratio is also important in calcium metabolism, but if dusting crickets, mealworms etc, you're not going to overload the ratio with calcium (probably the contrary). Overdoing vit A is a fairly common problem in reptiles though, so look for a suppliment that either has a small amount (unless you're keeping tortoises, terrapins etc) or one that provides the vit A in the form of beta carotine if you can find one. Otherwise use something like Nutrabal (although its quite high in vit A compared to other brands) and dust once a week with it and just calcium the rest of the feeds....or dilute it with calcium as above (but this also dilutes all the other vits and minerals...possibly evens out though to the same thing in the end if you're using the mix at every feed). If you're using a mix, don't make up large quantities at once though as it won't store well.
There's a theoretical risk in using cuttle as the source of calcium, depending on where its harvested from, due to the accumulation of heavy metals, particularly selenium. I use it for females who are laying heavily because they take it from a pot more readily than powder, but don't use it as a matter of course because I don't know what's in it, even though I collect it myself.

Makes sense to me :wink: :D

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
right; thanks to a library of rep books these are my findings! :)

excessive amounts of calcium can cause calcification of the internal organs much the same as an overdose in vitamin D3. overdoses in either can cause a build up of calcium in the organs and can eventually lead to poisoning and hard growths on the organs. it can also lead to problems with the development of bones.

god knows how much calcium you would need to give to make this happen but i'm pretty sure would be hard to do from supplements for leos.

however certain species such as chameleons (for example dwarf mountain) actually need a very low level of calcium otherwise they run the risk of having potential problems.

it would be silly to say that a leo CANNOT overdose on calcium as an excess of anything will kill.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i dust the crickets/hoppers with nutrobal once a week and leave a dish of pure calcium.

until 20minutes ago, I'd never seen it being eaten, only the amount in the dish going down. well my little snow was sat there licking calcium out of it, it was so cute:)

·
Registered
809 Posts
BELIAL said:

excessive amounts of calcium can cause calcification of the internal organs much the same as an overdose in vitamin D3. overdoses in either can cause a build up of calcium in the organs and can eventually lead to poisoning and hard growths on the organs. it can also lead to problems with the development of bones.

god knows how much calcium you would need to give to make this happen but i'm pretty sure would be hard to do from supplements for leos.

however certain species such as chameleons (for example dwarf mountain) actually need a very low level of calcium otherwise they run the risk of having potential problems.

it would be silly to say that a leo CANNOT overdose on calcium as an excess of anything will kill.
It is the liquid calcium supplement that appears to be the prob.
Dusting is not a cause for concern. :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
BELIAL said:

I once read that eating too much lettuce could make you fat... but HOW MUCH would you have too eat!! :shock: :eek:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I thought leos could poo out any excess calcium. :? You can overdose on vitamins though which is why Nutrobal etc should only be used twice a week max.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
well leos don't need D3 supplementation... I usually dust a set of crickets once a week for my leo BUT leos are very good at sensing when they need calcium so if you leave a small pot of calcium in the viv they will take it when its needed.... That way you'll never get overdoses or underdoses (if theres such a word)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts