Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of a sort of calculator for working out genetics?

sort of

if i cross my blah blah blah with my bleh bleh what are the likely outcomes?

or are there just too many differenet possibilities to list?

i'm new to this whole genetic malarky and want to know a little bit at the very least

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
There's a couple of corn ones but I don't know for any other animals, were you looking for one for a particular species?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just out of curiosity what does this actually mean for example?

taken from the corn morph sticky:

snow to bloodred is likely to give normals het for bloodred and snow

now from GCSE biology, i'm guessing the het means heterozygous....

but i don't get how it applies here.

does it mean they'll basically normal? but have they have a possibility of their offspring being bloodred and snows if bred to the right mate?

gaaah :?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not really

just wondered to be honest.

it's too confusing for me.

but people have done them?

maybe if we all clubed together we could come up with a calculator for most species

obviously it would take a lot of HTML wizardry and knowledge and time

but it could become a santuary for people who really don't have the foggiest haha

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Advanced Genetics Wizard

this will do it: victory:
Not very user friendly and it is possible to make a mistake.
I put in pewter to see how it deals with it and it just accepts its pewter not anery "B" etc.
I then put in the "pork pie" gene and endded up with snake het for "pork pie"
So it is good for people who have a good understanding of genetics but could give some people unreliable results, due to the reliablilty of the info they input.
Stephen.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Not very user friendly and it is possible to make a mistake.
I put in pewter to see how it deals with it and it just accepts its pewter not anery "B" etc.
I then put in the "pork pie" gene and endded up with snake het for "pork pie"
So it is good for people who have a good understanding of genetics but could give some people unreliable results, due to the reliablilty of the info they input.
Stephen.
agreed...... to be able to use this you need to know whether *insert named morph* is due to the influence of one/two/more genes, and also whether each gene involved is recessive/co-dom/dominant. By the time you know stuff like that, you're pretty much beyond the stage where a calculator program is necessary other than for speed/laziness.

IMO it's probably better to read lots... then to play with something like Mick's Cornsnake Progeny Predictor - try to figure out what the result will be before looking what it actually should be, then if necessary work on figuring out where you're going wrong.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
just out of curiosity what does this actually mean for example?

taken from the corn morph sticky:

snow to bloodred is likely to give normals het for bloodred and snow

now from GCSE biology, i'm guessing the het means heterozygous....

but i don't get how it applies here.

does it mean they'll basically normal? but have they have a possibility of their offspring being bloodred and snows if bred to the right mate?

gaaah :?
That's exactly right. Breed a bloodred to a snow and you'll get 100% normals carrying the genes for bloodred, anerythristic and amelanistic.

And if you bred those offspring together you could get Anerys, amels, bloods, snows, granites, fires and even Avalanches.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
mmmmmmm...... I wonder what would happen if we bred it to my pork pie het brown sauce? :)
Er, we could make a meal of it :grin1:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts