Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Im new to snake keeping (thanks to my mum being dead affraid of them!), and need a little help with my cali-king. He's nearly a year old, over a foot long (hard to measure the little bugger properly!) and feeding on 2 fuzzies a week.
I've read on several websites that you can speed up growth by feeding every other day on small fuzzies/large pinkies, is there any truth in this, i dont want to try it and give him a stomach ache or worse?!
Also, he is constantly trying to get out, despite the fact that he is handled every day for about half an hour or so! Is there any way to deter this, or will it be constant? He even trys to get out after he's been handled, like it wasn't enough, i tried handling him more after, and he still wanted out! I tried changing the substrate 3 times now (as i thought that might have been the cause) but still no change! Please help, please!!!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hi

dont try feeding him every other day , thats too much.
Every 6 to 7 days is fine.
Dot know why he is trying to get out of his home so much, but have you checked the temps?
Maybe it is too warm

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, cheers for the advice. I use a heatmat and i dont have a thermostat, was told that a heat mat alone would be ok for him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it isn't the heat causing him to try and escape, what bedding would you recommend? As I said before I have changed it a number of time.
I have tried wood chip, eco earth (coconut fibre), and currently have a zoo med cage carpet. I have heard of people using sphagnum moss and aspen bedding, but im not sure what the best would be for a cali king!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You should really have the heat mat on a thermostat, these things can reach really high temps when they are unregulated. By the sounds of things I am guessing you dont actually know the temps of the hot end and cool end. You should be keeping a constant eye on temps as it is the most important thing when keeping reptiles. I suggest you get a thermostat for the heat mat, alter the temperatures and see if his behaviour changes.

Meep Meep Meep

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
A heat mat without a stat can also burn your snake. Best get a mat-stat and a digital in/out thermometer (available cheaply from ebay) to measure the temps accurately.

·
Registered
475 Posts
He'll be trying to get out as it's nearly brumation time, so he's seeking a female! :roll: My yearling male is doing the same at the mo. You may find he'll stop eating soon for a couple of months too. Don't worry about this. This is again due to it being breeding season. My boyfriend breeds kings and they do this every year from November to February/March. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kerry1 said:
He'll be trying to get out as it's nearly brumation time, so he's seeking a female! :roll: My yearling male is doing the same at the mo. You may find he'll stop eating soon for a couple of months too. Don't worry about this. This is again due to it being breeding season. My boyfriend breeds kings and they do this every year from November to February/March. :)
ok, so how do i stop this, i've only had him for 3 or 4 months, and he's only a year old, not even sexually mature yet!

·
Registered
475 Posts
You can't stop this!! It's normal snake behaviour. Mine's only a yearling too, but for a male in his mind, that's nearly sexually mature. You should be pleased he's displaying this behaviour. It means he's a normal healthy Cali king, and means he will breed if you want him too :)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
The most important thing here is to get a thermostat and 2 thermometers (one for each end of the tank). Your hot end should be around 85F and the cool end in the 70s. This MUST be done to keep your king happy and healthy.

As for bedding - I like aspen for most snakes, though beech chips are popular too. Aspen would be my personal choice - sphagnum moss is only for use in moist hides really, which your snake should have access to when he is in shed (if not all the time!)

I would recommend you have a read of the kingsnake care sheet in the "caresheets" section of the forum for more advice on correct setups.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
All my kings are like that at the mo... all wanting to breed... kings are amazing escape artists.... they really need to be secured properly... as Pendlehog said I put a caresheet I wrote in the caresheets section... I use aspen with my kings and they love it as they can burrow in it... dont use eco earth... too moist....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts