Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: It pains me but due to a change in personal circumstances I'm going to have to sell my Cali king "Matilda" who I've had for nearly 9 years. She's in lovely condition, extremely docile but very active and has always fed brilliantly. Trouble is I have no idea what price to ask for! She's a big girl, over 4ft and I've seen smaller going for well over £100. Any idea what I should ask? There is a reptile shop 30 mins drive away, is it worth asking them how much they'd offer?

Any advice much appreciated!

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
about £60 at the most... not over £100.. it might be worth putting her for sale on classified..where are you exactly?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
A pet store will offer you bottom dollar and probably sell her on at a large profit. You would get more for her (and have the peace of mind of knowing who she's going to) if you see on the classifeds.
Over £100 for a cali king of any size is absolutely outrageous though!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
PendleHog said:
A pet store will offer you bottom dollar and probably sell her on at a large profit. You would get more for her (and have the peace of mind of knowing who she's going to) if you see on the classifeds.
Over £100 for a cali king of any size is absolutely outrageous though!
i almost fell out oif my chair when i heard the price :lol:

and classifieds are the way to go

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Thinking about it as well even £60 may be a bit too high... probably a lot lower... as shes an old girl she cant really be used for breeding, and isnt going to be a pet for too long. Granted she may live another 11 years but you never know.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have to get ride of her after so long :( Is there no one close to you family, friends that could maybe take her in until your circumstances change?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sorry to hear you have to get rid of your king after so long, good luck on trying to find a nice place for her/him.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
sorry you have to rehome you girl :(
for referance I bought my 3 year old Cali for £25 (although its a male)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
shame you have to sell.
£100 is well steep, i think you have your eyes on the wrong end of the market.
look at it like this, and this is with no disrespect but pure facts..
you have a nine year old snake to sell... being female its not a great deal of use as a breeder, or not for long anyway. as a pet? maybe more so, but if its 9 years old its about the oldest i have known a king to get, i know they get older i'm just speaking from personal there...
seriously, value wise? i would be more concerned that an animal you have had that long went to a good home.. if you really want to talk money, then £20 if you;re lucky i would think.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I agree with nigel,a nine year old cali is not exactly going to be in huge demand! I would say the best course of action would be to advertise it for a nominal fee,say£20 as surgested and them vet the buyers so at least you can be sure it is going to a good home.I take some of my snakes into schools/pre-schools etc. and sometimes take on retitred breeders if they are particularly calm and used to being handled so this is the sort of thing to look out for,i would avoid seling her to someone who mainly breeds as she is really to old and it will only cause her stress.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would like to add to this thread.

the idea that a 9 year old cali king would be no good for breeding is absolutly Mad.
some of my best breeders have been between the ages of 7 and 10 years, after the age of 12 i would only breed them every second year, but would NOT make them redundent as breeders.

£20 is way to low.
£50 would be a good price to ask.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
not that it wouldnt breed, but it wouldnt have many productive years really.
ask for 50, cant hurt, but when the buyer finds out its 9 years old i honestly think they will walk away.
as i said before, this is one of those situations where a good home is more important than money.. imo

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Most of my female kings have only lived to around the 10 yrs mark,yes they have been bred so this has undoubtedly made a difference.You may well get a year or two out of her but wouln't it be better to make sure she has a good home as i understand she has been a much loved pet? Lets be honest we are not talking fortunes here!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
thats pretty much how i was looking at it too...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think it's already been said but if I were you I'd just concentrate on finding it a good home with someone reliable.
Whatever you get for it, it's not going to be a huge amount so personally I'd feel better just taking a low offer from a good home (or even giving it away) rather than having it go just anywhere and getting a few extra quid.

I reckon passing it on to someone who does talks/demonstrations is a great idea.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
simonc said:
Most of my female kings have only lived to around the 10 yrs mark,yes they have been bred so this has undoubtedly made a difference.You may well get a year or two out of her !

Wow something is wrong there then.
with good husbandry skills, Cal kings can live at least 15-20 years in captivity even if you do breed them...

Whats with everyone thinking they have a short life span, and basicly saying it needs to go to a retirement home. lol...

i agree that a breeder in the game just for the money, that gets his or her snakes to double and even triple clutch their snakes every year will put a big strain on the snakes and inevitably shorten the life span. those breeders will normaly get rid of the adults at about the age of 7-8 years and call them ex breeders.

If you give your snakes good husbandry skills, allow them to breed once a year, a good regular supply of food, and good exercise, you can expect your snake to live WAY past 10 years.....

All this short life span stuff is nonsence.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i think the problem is paul, 99% of the members on this forym havent been into reps for more than a few years.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
"with good husbandry skills, Cal kings can live at least 15-20 years in captivity"
Does anyone else have a 20 yr old cali?
I have a 17 yr old corn that i have had from hatchling but he is male
Paul if your snakes live and breed that long i am happy for you,but to say this is the norm is unrealistic imo

·
Registered
324 Posts
soRRY TO HEAR MATE, REALLY AM. aLWAYS HARD TO PART COMPANY WITH SOMETHING YOU'VE KNOWN FOR SO LONG. ANYWAY THE MOST YOU WOULD GET FOR A CALI KING'S ABOUT 50 QUID FROM A SHOP. I WOULD PERSONALLY GO TO THE SHOP AND ASK HOW MUCH THEY ARE GONNA SELL IT, AND ADD ABOUT 30-40 QUID ON THAT PRICE AND SELL IT IN THE CLASSIFYED. i'D BET YOU COULD SELL HER FOR ABOUT 120... IF YOU'RE LUCKY.

sorry about the caps, realised half way thru, cudnt be bothered to fix it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts