Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
shes a re-home chocolate california king, about 4.5ft and approx 5-6years old

was told she was eating/to feed her 5-6 medium adult mice ( seemed a lot to me but was told that this 1/2 per week thaqt must of us do isnt enough - thought well i'll think on it as i learn but will keep her on what shes used to/happy with)
well week 1 she ate 2
week 2 she ate 5
week 3 none
and still none tonight (tried 3)- last ate 17.10.07

dont know when last shed was and havent noticed any dulling

first time i fed in her viv as told but she dragged first mouse back across substrate so i had to be quick with tongs to get a bit off - after that fed the 5 in a tub and since tried tub first then put newspaper in viv and put mice outside hide (but she just goes to back of viv and avoids)

seems healthy and happy, handles fabulously

maybe that big feed is lasting her and info was wrong?

should i try braining the mice? how do you do it? lol

any ideas?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
If she's been eating five or six adult mice per week up til now...

how is she not spherical??

One or two mice is more than enough for an adult snake that isn't growing any more and isn't being gotten in condition for breeding.

Five adult mice would last my adult male Mexican Black king for about two months if I'm honest - he's fed one adult mouse every other week because otherwise he's prone to fat.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
5-6 mice a week is a huge meal, unless they are well under the proper size for her.
She's probably still getting over eating 5 mice at one go and doesn't need any more

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have seen stuff about powerfeeding and obese snakes and did worry it was too much - my ickle corns get 1-2 pinkies a week. just thought id follow rescue centres advice since she seemed healthy and happy

heres a recent pic of my neice with her and im sure shes not obese.

so could it be shes just full and will be for a while longer? dont think shes pooed for a while (so thought last feed would be all done with)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
looks alright atm
I'd say one appropriately sized mouse a week is plenty

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys.
will give her more time and try again with normal sized meals
cheers

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
as said try with one large mouse a feed...kings are prone to eating until they pop
looks a very nice kingsnake btw...
if you have any problems with it not feeding then try rubbing mouse omn an old shed skin..works many a time with me

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
I have 2 adult calis and they both get 1 large mouse a week.
My male was extremely fat when I got him and he had been fed 3 large mice a week for a few years. Now, simply by feeding him just the 1 he has lost the excess weight and can now climb and has built up muscle instead of the fat.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Sounds like overfeeding to me.
One large mouse per week should be enough

John

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Makes me wonder if, when they were describing "medium" mice what they had in mind was hoppers or weanlings....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts